Kevin Xu's Reviews > 1Q84

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Dec 20, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

This book is possibly the best book I have read of all times. It has everything that anyone would want in a book because it is composed of a little of every genre. The book has so many symbolisms and imageries that no one can figure it all out in the first read.

The book is like all of Haruki Murakami's past books where it is about self discovery of the main character. This time it is about how two long lost lovers find each others to the point that they were meant for each other. The book is about Aomame, one of the main character in the book where in the beginning, she goes into this alternate 1984 called 1Q84. There she spends time with a old windower becomes fast friend. Soon she finds out the world is not what it seems as she takes down the leader of a cult. Then opposite character is with the male main character, Tengo who is a math teacher, who was a classmate of Aomame. He becomes the writer for 17 year old Fuka-Eri, who cannot write because she has dyslexic. He writes her story down and edits it becoming a national bestseller, called Air Chrysalis, which the plot of the story is the mystery at the center of the book as the two main characters meet, and falls in love.

Overall, this is a great story that is highly recommendable to all who love to read, especially to those who loves to take on a challenge or not afraid to read a book that is over 1000 pages long. This is book is well over 5 stars. Haruki Murakmai is already a great writer, who has translated many great masterpieces into Japanese from English, but with 1Q84 he has created a masterpiece that rises him beyond anything ever could be imagined.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1Q84.

December 20, 2011 – Shelved
page 88
page 128
page 128
13.84% "I feel like in every book that Haruki Murakami writes there is a little of every genre known to man in there."
page 170
page 286
30.92% "This is the best book I have ever read. It has everything and anything anyone ever asked in a book."
December 23, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
page 286
30.92% "This is the best book I have ever read. It has everything and anything anyone asks in a book."
page 341
page 341
36.86% "I have never had this much joy and fun out of a book. Its so good of a book."
page 34424
page 593
Started Reading
page 708
page 708
76.54% "I should be able to finish the book by the end of the week, if not most likely on Friday."
page 864
page 864
93.41% "I might finish the book tonight. Then I need time to think on the deeper meaning of the book in order to write a review on the book later."
page 906
December 28, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Leonard I have read many of Murakami's books and like them a lot. I look forward to reading this latest work.

message 16: by Angie (new)

Angie I noticed this is listed in the ebooks section on goodreads as a free ebook? Think I will download it!

message 15: by Kevin (last edited Dec 28, 2011 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Xu Angie wrote: "I noticed this is listed in the ebooks section on goodreads as a free ebook? Think I will download it!"

Oh wow, really? I did not know that. That is nice.

Jenny (Reading Envy) I completely agree... and I understand the issues people have with the ending, but I keep shaking my head and saying, "But it was still great!"

message 12: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin I really want to read it!

Thank you for your review, Kevin.:)

message 11: by Yulande (new) - added it

Yulande Lindsay Hoping to get this soon. Thanks for your review.

message 10: by Kevin (last edited May 19, 2012 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kevin Xu Your welcome!

Aloha I'm glad you enjoyed it, Kevin. It's one of my favorites.

message 8: by Tish (new) - added it

Tish This is one of the books I gave my sister for Christmas. Looks like I'll have to borrow it back so I can read it myself!

message 7: by Anthony (new) - added it

Anthony Chavez I got this book for Christmas too, can't wait to read it.

Diane Well, I guess it did keep my attention and I did actually finish it. I thought this book was average. I did finish this book. I mostly thought it was much ado about nothing. Very strange. I mean how did he come up with the idea of little people coming out of the mouth of a rotting goat corpse. I figure the author must have been cracking himself up the whole time he was writing it.

Kevin Xu Diane wrote: "Well, I guess it did keep my attention and I did actually finish it. I thought this book was average. I did finish this book. I mostly thought it was much ado about nothing. Very strange. I me..."

He is fixed on sheeps and goats. Just look at his book, A Wild Sheep Chase.

Thomas "This book is possibly the best book I have read of all times." I have to agree with this comment. I didn't think that Haruki Marakami could surpass "Norwegian Wood", but with 1Q84 he may just have done it.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Gettner It's now on my list of must reads.

Kevin Xu Mark wrote: "It's now on my list of must reads."

Thanks!

message 1: by Meg-Anne (new) - added it

Meg-Anne I cried a little reading your review. see I saw this book at a store and carried it around with me trying to decide if I should buy it. I chose not too because I didn't have my phone and wasn't able to check goodreads. plus the blurb on the book was almost nonexistent. now I'm sad I didn't buy it - the kindle version is more expensive then the copy I found tonite. ;)