Anne ✨'s Reviews > Small Animals: Parenthood in the Age of Fear

Small Animals by Kim Brooks

bookshelves: parenting-boys, biography-memoir

Wow! This book resonated with me in a big way! As a mom of two now teens, I have lived through, and still experience many of the anxious feelings that Kim Brooks shares as she relates her experiences parenting in today's American society. The worries, pressures, expectations, and judgment. The polarizing platforms of helicopter parenting vs. free range parenting. It's seriously overwhelming! But it's also seriously important dialogue for moms/parents raising kids today to think about and understand.

This book is so much more than just about Kim's personal experiences, as traumatic and emotional as they were. (Kim was videotaped by a 'concerned' bystander for leaving her 4yr old son in their locked car for 5mins, on a mild day/windows cracked open, in a parking lot outside a store while she dashed in to pick something up. She is criminally charged by police, and required to do community service ).

Kim Brooks doesn’t just tell her own story here, she researches and explores a broader topic of how an increased societal focus on 'safety/protection' has come about, and the repercussions this focus has had on today's kids. The whole subject is absolutely fascinating to consider, regardless of where on the parenting spectrum you fall, or how you feel about Kim's actions/what played out.

As the blurb to this book says, this work is "part memoir, part history, part documentary, part impassioned manifesto". Kim does an admirable job of navigating these very tricky waters, giving us a deep look at all the considerations, and definitely gives THIS MOM (me) a lot to think about!

Audio Notes: Kim narrates her own book, and she does a great job. She’s passionate, energetic, and inquisitive. She looks to facts to support ideas, she pokes, ponders, and asserts, yet she remains respectful of others opinions. ! I really enjoyed listening to her tell her story!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Animals.

August 13, 2018 – Shelved