Christopher Sergi's Reviews > Lethal White

Lethal White by Robert Galbraith

82072874

bookshelves: read-fiction

The novel is, as like the previous novels, full to the brim with character. It's something I have always loved in Rowling's work, how she is - despite the over critical press she sometimes receives for each of her novels - able to tell any kind of story with characters you can't help but love.

Cormoran and Robin are given a lot more room for development in this novel. We had a great opportunity to get to know them throughout the first three novels, but with Lethal White, we see a much more intimate side to them in terms of their personal lives and relationships and how that affects their professions.

Though I loved this novel, it being a Rowing novel it's hard for me not to, I must agree with a few of the other reviews I've come across, that being it is rather long compared to the previous. Though I feel like this is a trait we should come to expect now from JK, as with the Potter novels. But regardless, this was still a superb read.

Deviating away from some of the previous themes of the earlier books, which veered towards arguably more of a grotesqueness in the crimes, Lethal White acts as more of a political drama. There is much to do here with left and right wing controversies, bigotry, misogyny and patriarchy, and the allowances given to those of wealth.

I found with this novel there to be a whole host of well fleshed characters. There are loads of them, and the book does indeed demand your attention throughout in order to keep up, not that it's a terribly fast paced book, however, but given the inclusion of both the main plot and a host of main and side character subplots, it was easy to fall victim to the many red herrings scattered throughout, which in essence, given you've been paying attention throughout the book, are very welcome and well placed come the novels' climax.

As a whole, Lethal White is a pretty long book, but if you enjoy seeing Cormoran and Robin show their true potential and watch as they progress further into their careers solving ever more complex cases, then you must read this novel. But don't expect a tied up ending to Strike and Robin just yet, for I feel much more is to come for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lethal White.

August 13, 2018 – Shelved