Don's Reviews > Napoleon's Pyramids: An Ethan Gage Adventure

Napoleon's Pyramids by William  Dietrich

Dec 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, historical-fiction

This was a Nook Friday free book. While I like historical fiction, it tends to be Naval fiction during the Age of Sail, i.e. Horatio Nelson, etc. This is set during the same period of time, so I gave it a whirl.

The first third of this book was slow going, but, I managed to push through. I won't spoil it for others, but, I did read it with more interest in the last two-thirds. The book touched on many aspects of the French invasion, it also made use of made use of various scientists and mathematicians. Ben Franklin's electricity experiments were alluded to many times,

The characters are in turn likeable, relatable, maddening, and interesting. The main protagonist, an American that was pulled into the French expedition to Egypt. The author has him speaking with Napoleon a number of times and Nelson a couple of time.

As a reader of historical naval fiction in this time period, it was also interesting to read an account of the French point of view, not to mention Napoleon's varied interests. Granted it was mostly fictional, but, I feel that it was not far from the mark.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Napoleon's Pyramids.

December 20, 2011 – Started Reading
December 20, 2011 – Shelved
December 20, 2011 –
2.0% "I like historical fiction, and thought I'd try this. It's about an American in France during the Napoleonic wars, shortly after the French Revolution."
December 28, 2011 – Shelved as: fiction