Jen's Reviews > The Girl of Fire and Thorns

Dec 20, 2011

bookshelves: supernatural-fantasy, debut-authors
Recommended to Jen by: Angie
Read from February 03 to 05, 2015 — I own a copy

This is one of those books that may turn readers off before they start just by the description. With it's religious aspects that are essential to the story, some readers may be uncomfortable and not give this book a chance. That would be a shame because it's a really great story. The religion is the basis of this story, but it's not preachy or overbearing, it's done really well.

The character development and world building are also done really well. Elisa is a fascinating character who grows up throughout the novel. Watching her grow and adapt from the overweight, shy princess to the strong, caring, rebellious queen was satisfying and uplifing. I didn't always like Elisa or agree with how she went about things, but I always found myself wanting her to suceed. Rae Carson created a good character that has a lot of depth.

This is a great debut of what is a planned trilogy. Fantasy fans will fall for this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl of Fire and Thorns.

10/08/2014 marked as: currently-reading