Delaney's Reviews > Dreamsleeves

Dreamsleeves by Coleen Murtagh Paratore

Dec 19, 2011

Read from July 10 to 11, 2012

DREAMSLEEVES wasn't a difficult read. It might have because it involves growing up, being 13, being free, alcohol, not having privileges, her dad a little mad and angry at times, and just learning to dream. But how she formed the atmosphere the "mood" for the story, it just wasn't strong enough to be a hard read. When you dream, your free. Because dreaming is worth succeeding.

Aislinn (A) takes cares of her siblings, never is allowed to be out of the house much. And dreams to be normal, to get to go to places normal girls get to go to and do. I actually had things relating to A like how we are both going to be in 8th grade. How she is 12. But the differences made me capture her more and I just felt for her more and more as her father was drinking more and more. Her mom, I really loved her mom. It made me think of those times when my mom would do something and not tell my dad or let me do something and not tell my dad. She, I could understand why A's mom would want peace in the household because once the yelling starts, it doesn't end really quickly. But, I can tell that she was fighting, and even though her husband was drinking, she still loved him. Besides, koodos to the pregnant woman! Her dad, I actually loved him. At times I would think "what is he thinking now as he's doing that, as he's yelling?" I could get an image of a father and that he can be really kind. Beck, Callie, Dooley, and baby Eddie, I think they are wonderful. They are Aislinn's siblings where they named them in alphabetical order (A,B,C,D,E, and a coming F). They misbehaved, mostly followed instructions, and just were little kids having fun.

The setting was set in the olden days were around the Brady Bunch and Jackson 5 and going to supermarkets to get food was around $2 and that was expensive for whatever needed to buy. I was kind of shocked of this setting because until it finally clicked with all the oldie music mentioned, it could feel like present tense now. But, the setting fit the story, molding it more, and it worked!

I would really have liked it if the ending part where her father gradually gets better, Paratore would take the time to show the effects of AA and to show how he is getting better. I would really have loved it, if in the end, she would make the whole 'Dreamsleeves' thing a bigger deal, but, hey, it's still new, so I guess that's why it's "getting into action"

Thoroughly, I enjoyed reading of A and her family. Her story, her growing up. Her being free. Her family getting better.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreamsleeves.

07/10/2012 page 148
51.0% "Its actually pretty wonderful. Not a rollercoaster of emotions but still wonderful."
07/10/2012 page 165
57.0% "Please say that A would be okay"
07/10/2012 page 243
84.0% "Something has to happen with her dad, it's not right!"

message 1: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Are you from New Knoxville School? If you are, Hi!