SuperWendy's Reviews > Wolf in the Shadows

Wolf in the Shadows by Marcia Muller

Still chugging along with revisiting the Sharon McCone series and this is a book I don't remember at all from my previous reading/listening some 20+ years ago. While I've always appreciated that Muller allows her female protagonist to have a love life, I'll be honest and say I've always been indifferent on Hy as a character. And this book probably helps explain why since OMG JUST TELL HER ABOUT YOUR PAST ALREADY SHE FRICKIN' DESERVES IT AFTER THE CRAP SHE GOES THROUGH IN THIS BOOK! Ahem. Anyway, yes I have feelings on the matter.

The tension Muller creates in this story is really fantastic, and it's amazing how very little has changed around the subject of immigration in the US. This should have read as a time capsule and sadly....did not. One of the stronger books in the series so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolf in the Shadows.

August 12, 2018 – Started Reading
August 12, 2018 – Shelved
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Barb in Maryland I heard Muller at a book talk, eons ago now, where she confessed that Hy started as a minor character who would be killed off; but he kept growing and the next she knew, he was sticking around as a major love interest for Sharon. The writer brain at work is a wonder to this reader...
This book was the one that got me back to this series, after having almost totally given up on it.

SuperWendy Barb: I feel like with this book Muller wrote "suspense" as opposed to simply "a mystery." The tension and pacing in this book is really dynamite. Also, it makes me appreciate Muller that much more as a series writer. She's written Sharon in a way that she changes and grows without morphing into a pod person. At least up until this point in the series. This is where my memory starts to get spotty and everything past A Walk Through Fire will be completely new to me.

Barb in Maryland SuperWendy wrote: "This is where my memory starts to get spotty and everything past A Walk Through Fire will be completely new to me."

Well, like any long running series, there are ups and downs. But Sharon and Hy and family and friends have a lot of surprises in store for you. I keep reading because, after all these years, I'm invested in the characters. The mystery is no longer my main concern--I want to know what's happening with everyone.