Stephanie's Reviews > Sisters of the Fire

Sisters of the Fire by Kim Wilkins

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy

This is an ARC that I won from a Giveaway that Del Rey was having on Instagram. Thank you again, Del Rey!

I am a little confused though because the book is being released in the U.S. on February 2, 2019 but was released elsewhere in 2016, and some of the reviews on Goodreads are from 2 years ago. So, is this still an ARC?

Whatever it is, I enjoyed this second book in the trilogy. There is some fun action and it's to the point. The description doesn't drag on and on. I would say it was more character driven. The characters, especially the sisters are well written and are diverse in their personalities. I certainly have my favorites sisters that I root for and ones that I want to smack across the head. I'll elaborate more below so beware of spoilers.

One major critique I have is that only one of the sisters is literate. That just baffles me. How are royal princesses illiterate? It makes no sense. In a world were most of the people are illiterate it's the rulers, the rich, and the clergy that CAN read. So I wasn't too keen about that.

On to the characters. My favorites:

Bluebell's quest was one of the strongest plots. It connected the sisters and drove the story forward. I do wish her romantic story had been more developed but I liked her love interest, Skalmir, and (view spoiler)

Rose really grew in maturity. I feel like this time she took a backseat to Bluebell, Ash and Willow, but her quest to find her daughter was a strong maternal one and I felt for her when (view spoiler)

Rowan is growing into my favorite character next to Bluebell. I wish there had been more from her POV when she (view spoiler)I loved how the prologue and epilogue centered around her keeping secrets and is shaping her into a future ruler.

Ash felt bad for her isolation and the abuse she suffered. The end was satisfying when (view spoiler)

Ugh, these two:

I was really hoping Ivy would have grown into a smart and mature woman but she is just as naive and annoying. If you're going to (view spoiler)She is so dumb her story did not really interest me all that much.

Willow I hate because she (view spoiler) That being said, her story was interesting to read because she and Hakon are a good antagonists to Bluebell. After the conclusion of Daughters of the Storm I thought (view spoiler)

I really liked how Sisters of the Fire moved the story forward. The plots and characters were well developed, and the separate stories matched up well. I am looking forward to the conclusion in book 3, Queens of the Sea.

3.5 out of 5 Dragons

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of the Fire.

August 12, 2018 – Shelved