Courtney Lynn (reorganizedreading)'s Reviews > Jane Doe

Jane Doe by Victoria Helen Stone

bookshelves: 2018-goodreads-reading-challenge, mystery-thriller

A psychological thriller with heartfelt commentary on societal injustices.

One of the questions I asked myself throughout reading this: would true justice for Meg ever be served?

As a reader who displays high levels of empathy, I needed justice to be served for Meg. That was what propelled me through this novel. That was what made me connect with our narrator, a sociopath, in a way that often made me cheer when her thoughts turned to murdering Steven.

I never thought I would be able to connect with a sociopath. Victoria Helen Stone does a great job of making you feel a connection to our narrator Jane, even though she is void of human emotions. She somehow makes Jane feel human, even if she is essentially lacks emotional range and depth. Not to mention the fact that she's leading two lives for most of the novel. The juxtaposition of Steven’s idealized version of Jane with her internal thoughts brings levity (and on occasion laughter) to their seriously toxic relationship.

The writing was straight forward, just like Jane’s logical thinking, and the pacing was quick. There was more than a healthy dose of sarcasm in here, and I kept wanting to read on; to see what Jane was plotting next. There was some level of predictability in Jane’s actions, but there were also a few surprises along the way.

This is a psychological thriller first, but the further you get into it, the more you can see it shedding light on important issues such as: consent, feminism, religious hypocrisy, and arguably mental disability.

All in all, this one receives five-star rating. It kept me hooked until the end and was just a really interesting premise overall.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Doe.

August 12, 2018 – Started Reading