Emily Ward's Reviews > Smokeless Fire

Smokeless Fire by Samantha Young

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, kindle, ya, self-published, unique-fantasy, favorite-authors
Read in December, 2011

Wow! Amazon showed me this book my recommendations, and this lovely cover caught my eye. The blurb was awesome, the sample snagged me, so I bought it. . .and finished it. . .all in one day! Man, I love being on break!

Ari is getting ready to graduate, but she has no idea what she wants to do with her life. She's currently worrying about her best friend (who she's in love with) Charlie, who has sunk into a pot and booze stupor since his brother died two years ago, and getting ready for her 18th birthday party. She makes a wish at the party to a gimmick genie, but she really has no idea what she's getting herself into. She wakes up in another world and finds out about her true parentage - her parents are Jinn - and she's been assigned a smoking hot guardian to protect her from The White King, her true father.

Wow, wow, wow. I know already said that, but I don't think four times is enough. This story was fascinating. At first, I wasn't sure what to think about Ari since she wanted Charlie so badly. I thought she was kind of pathetic, like her friends did, but I kept reading. I felt sorry for her because she seemed lonely. Her dad was gone all the time, and she really had no one to talk to. When she suddenly wakes up in this other world and meets her true father. . .well, things just didn't slow down after that!

Samantha Young has created an amazing world with very unique world building. The Jinn have many different forms, and the magic system is really neat.

I really liked Jai. I'm usually turned off by sarcastic, arrogant love interests like him, but I think there was more to him than a typical Jace or. . .okay, I don't read a lot of PNR, so Jace is pretty much the only one I can name :P BUT I liked Jai. I think Samantha did a good job at showing his age. He doesn't act like a 17 year old, and I'm glad she didn't make him that young. He's much more mature than Charlie (groan) and it showed. I really liked the chemistry between Jai and Ari and I was hoping for something to happen. . .but I won't tell if anything did or not.

There were some things, writing style, that rubbed me the wrong way. Mainly mechanics stuff. Like mixing up you're/your? Come on. Or there were a couple sentences I had to reread where an extra comma could have helped. That's mainly the reason it's 4 instead of 5 and because I think Ari could have been a tad more dynamic. I'm not sure how, I just think. . .I'm not sure. I did like her quite a bit. Even in the beginning, I just thought she was kind of naive. I still feel bad for her, too, considering all she's been through. I hope she doesn't let things get to her. I feel like she needs someone she can actually rely on, but she's kind of this island and it's sad.

I'm excited to see what else is coming up in the rest of the series. Obviously, big, epic things considering what's revealed in this book. And the second one comes out in February, yay! I will definitely buy the sequel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smokeless Fire.