Paul ataua's Reviews > First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers

First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung

liked it

The three stars are all for the content. The book gives some insight into how it must have felt to be dragged out of your home and forced into the countryside, to see atrocities around you, to lose close members of your family, and not really understand what was happening or what would happen next. I really did, however, have problems with the narrative choice of the book even if I felt I understood what the writer was trying to achieve. The story is told by a five year old who has a cognitive awareness well beyond her years and a supreme mastery of the English language, and it is told in the present tense. This gnawed at me page after page. I really would have been happier with a past tense account with some explanation of her lack of understanding of events. I am probably alone in my feelings about this, and possibly being unreasonable, but it did have an effect on my reception of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First They Killed My Father.

Finished Reading
August 11, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Lori (new)

Lori I've been trying to finish "In the Shadow of the Banyan" for about 2 years now. Have you read that one? I've liked it so far, but it's on the Bookshout App and I just never remember it's there.

Paul ataua Will check it out, thanks.

Britta You're not alone and you're not being unreasonable! I started this book yesterday and am not very far into it, but the present tense, first person account is bothering me, too. Her perspective is far too wise for a five year old and her memories are far too detailed.

Paul ataua Britta wrote: "You're not alone and you're not being unreasonable! I started this book yesterday and am not very far into it, but the present tense, first person account is bothering me, too. Her perspective is f..."
Thanks for making me not feel alone in this.
]