SuperWendy's Reviews > Engaging Brooke

Engaging Brooke by Dara Girard

liked it

I picked this up because I saw it mentioned in a Harlequin blog post (about cowboys!) recently and I'm nothing if not shallow. What I didn't realize is that it's book 2 in a continuity series (the other two books having been written by other authors). That said, while there is a heaping amount of series baggage, Girard does a good job bringing the reader up to speed and I never felt "lost."

But something was off here. Category romance lives and dies by pacing (short word counts yo) and this one never seemed to hit its emotional beats. Brooke is marrying Jameson to secure her inheritance (her family's ranch) so his belief that she'll up-and-leave because he thinks she hates small town ranching life because that's how His One True Love felt doesn't make any sense. I mean, I know we're talking Romance Hero Logic here - but it still Doesn't. Make. Any. Sense. Also, the fact that His One True Love was Brooke's older sister and said sister stays OFF PAGE for the entire book just felt weird. I mean, there's not even a phone call with Meredith asking Brooke "WTH?! You're marrying my ex?!?!" Call me crazy, but if one of my sisters married one of my ex-boyfriends (especially the guy who was my high school sweetheart) - I think I'd have plenty to say about that. But that's me.

The ending is a bit rushed, which didn't bother me as much as Brooke's behavior during these final moments. She starts running around half-cocked, and it felt out of character.

This wasn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but it never registered above OK for me and it didn't give me a burning desire to pick up the other two books in the series. Meh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Engaging Brooke.

August 11, 2018 – Started Reading