C.G. Drews's Reviews > With the Fire on High

With the Fire on High by Elizabeth Acevedo

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, young-adult, read-2019

Oh wow is this a love letter to food and culture.😍ngl, I am here living for foodie fiction and this has so so many tasty recipes (sending slight sad face to how it was 90% savoury dishes though...like c'mon!!! life exists for dessert). But it was so so good and honestly I was so invested in the characters, the romance, in Emoni raising her little girl...I just!! It's a beautiful story. I loved The Poet X, but I think I loved this a bit more because, well, food, but also just Emoni's utter love and devotion to her baby 😭. And also her and Malachi were the softest, sweetest slowburn romance.

And it was filled with such important themes and discussions on race and expectations and assumptions. Emoni is black/Puerto Rican and she unpacks feelings about her culture and people's judgements of her that she had a baby at 15. And all the foodie scenes?! She has just this magic of knowing how to infuse and combine flavours and I adored reading how she grew and her cooking developed!!!

There is so so much heart is in this book. And my heart feels really full just after finishing it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With the Fire on High.

August 11, 2018 – Shelved