Sarah's Reviews > Certain Dark Things

Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, inclusive-book-bingo

I think this had the unfortunate luck of coming directly after another 3 star read for me. Halfway through I just didn't have the patience for it anymore. It isn't particularly bad, but I just didn't enjoy most of it.

The setting was fabulous and very well done. It's set in Mexico City, exploring the darker, dirtier corners of the city: the subway tunnels, warehouses where dog fights take place, poor apartment complexes, heck she even takes us to a landfill. The feeling and tone were perfect.

I just wish she'd given us a story and characters to match. I didn't really connect with any of them. Atl- I didn't like and I didn't even hate. Domingo- poor guy, he just gave this impression of not being very intelligent. Very kind and caring, but overwhelmingly naive and innocent. The villain was cartoonishly evil, a caricature of a villain. Bernardino was the best character, but his motivation was non-existent and his believability was nil. Ana was actually my favorite character for quite awhile, the author even ruined her in the end.

The plot was very basic. Atl's on the run from a bunch of drug dealing vampires. Mexico City is a no-vampire zone, so for now, she's cornered. Step in the villains hunting Ana. Step in the police detective investigating the trail of bodies the bad guys leave behind... you get the picture. There aren't really any twists or turns or surprises, what you see is what you get.

I do think a lot of thought was put into the vampire breeds/histories/lore/etc. Everytime Atl mentioned a different kind of vampire, or a new power, or the history of her people I perked right up. There is a glossary of different vampires in the back of the book and that was probably the highlight of the book for me. These are not your typical bloodsuckers, and I'd be willing to give the author another shot at a vampire book that didn't focus on these particular characters and plot lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Certain Dark Things.

August 11, 2018 – Started Reading
August 11, 2018 – Shelved
August 11, 2018 –
30.0% "Okay so far. I like the setting. The info dumps are getting on my nerves a bit."
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy