Scot's Reviews > Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat: Why It's So Hard to Think Straight About Animals

Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat by Hal Herzog

Dec 19, 2011

liked it

A breezy overview of anthrozoology for the layman. Why do we feel differently about some animals than we do others? How and when and why do we anthropomorphize animal behavior? How do gender roles and other cultural markers affect out interactions with animals? What are the ethics of using animals in scientific experiments? Should we give up eating meat?

A lot of anecdotal evidence and personal reflection by Herzog, a psychologist, here. I particularly enjoyed the section that reflects on how and why popular dog breeds go in and out of style, and just what the history of popular dog breeds has been in the United States in the last eighty years. I also think the growing phenomenon of seeing pets as members of families is a good one for discussion. A theme throughout the book is the cognitive dissonance we seem to have about how we treat animals, and how our cultural practices and rationalizations allow us to live with such moral inconsistencies in our lives. There is a useful suggested readings appendix for further exploration of any particular chapter focus that strikes your fancy.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat.