Pygmy's Reviews > Something Missing

Something Missing by Matthew Dicks

Dec 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction

Lots of points for this book for the concept, but I wish someone else had executed it. The character's voice is more than a little pedantic, and for the first 3 quarters of the book, the only conversation the character has is with a parrot. Everything else is just paragraph after pargraph of description....which is fine up to a point, and then I just started skipping pages to get through it.

It got a bit more exciting by the last quarter of the book; the main character meets a potential love interest, he's meddling in the lives of his "clients" to make things better for them, all the way up to that final heroic conclusion.

I'm not crazy about the way the author handles dialogue, but the quirky concept had me thinking that this is the perfect story to turn into a movie. Lately I've been obsessed with watching Burn Notice and Touching Evil (US version), and I feel that the actor Jeffrey Donovan is the perfect guy to pull off this oddball character who skirts the law but has a kind heart and well meaning intentions.

So in summation: bleh book but awesome concept. Make me a movie, please.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Missing.