Emily's Reviews > Krampusnacht: Twelve Nights of Krampus

Krampusnacht by Kate Wolford

12065550

liked it

"For if truth and beauty and love of life must be labeled wickedness, then heaven loves a wicked child." - Elise Fourier Edie

I randomly came across this book in a used bookstore & I was so happy to find it! Krampusnacht is an anthology of twelve short stories about Krampus edited by Kate Wolford. Although I didn't love everything in here, I would say that the book is worth reading for the ones I did love. I rated nine of the stories 3-5⭐, so that's pretty good.

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety in this anthology since all the stories are focused on Krampus. I was concerned about the stories being too similar, but the editor did a fantastic job of choosing different types of stories.

My top 3 stories in this collection were Prodigious by Elizabeth Twist, The Wicked Child by Elise Fourier Edie, and Santa Claus and the Little Girl Who Loved to Sing and Dance by Patrick Evans. I had not read these authors before, and I fell in love with their stories. I would really like to read more from them. Actually, I don't think I had read any of the authors from this anthology before, so it was pretty cool to be introduced to so many new ones. I believe there are more women writers than men in this anthology, which you don't always see. That made me happy.

Some of the stories like Santa Claus and the Little Girl Who Loved to Sing and Dance by Patrick Evans were pretty amusing, and I liked having a bit of horror comedy mixed in. Many of the other stories were too slow for my taste, or just didn't really capture my interest, but I think the ones I love balanced out the anthology. This is a book I would read again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Krampusnacht.

August 10, 2018 – Shelved