Alcieta's Reviews > City of Lost Souls

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Dec 19, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: disappointing

What I fail to understand is how something so astounding as Clockwork Prince can come out of an author that so epically fails in her later works. I'm mainly referring to City of Lost Souls, and partially, Fallen Angels. This series continues to deteriorate. What is there to redeem it, anyway? This book was 80% sex/make-out scenes, 10% (hinted at) writing talent and 10% actual story. Story, which by the way, bored me to tears. Talk about getting lazy. This book shouldn't have been near the length that it was; she needed 200 pages or less to get the point of such a weakly-woven story across. This book read like fanfiction. I'm still biased, though. I can't get over how stunning City of Glass and Clockwork Prince were. Clare very plainly has the talent to rise above such cheap writing, yet here she certainly didn't.

I mean, she's the author - I'm just a reader. If this book is an essential piece in the vision she had for the Mortal Instruments, well. By all means. But from my point of view, these characters don't have much story left in them to tell.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Lost Souls.

December 19, 2011 – Shelved
May 15, 2012 – Started Reading
May 15, 2012 –
page 75
14.02% "Magnus and Alec really put a damper on this otherwise amazingly written series. Nothing's perfect, I guess."
May 16, 2012 –