Helen's Reviews > The Psychology of Time Travel

The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas

liked it
bookshelves: book-club, competent-female-characters, feminist, reviewed, sci-fi

"We've done it," Babara said, "You bloody brilliant women. We've done it."

They hugged, their voices mingling as they spoke over each other, and Babara's vision blurred with tears. She was so grateful - for Lucielle's superluminal research, and Grace's thermodynamics, and Margaret's utter, unshakeable conviction that they would succeed. The team were pioneers. They were going to be the first people to travel through time.

I loved that it involved a murder mystery - one of my favourite things - and then combined it with a sci-fi story - another of my favourite things! But it kinda disappointingly didn't go anywhere. Also, it confused me. Maybe I missed something reading it but I didn't get the whole candy box thing and didn't get why it was left there and why they knew when to go back.

Another thing I love is that the majority of the scientists and important people were women, as though it was just a normal thing. I didn't like any of the characters though. As people go these were pretty miserable, selfish group. There were also so many storylines and different themes running that it made it hard to keep track of what was happening to who. I think that contributed massively to my confused feelings reading it.

It's well written though, there's enough in this one book to fill three or four different books and I think that if the author had trimmed this back a bit I would have really loved it.

The time travel company was interesting and well thought out - it created its own rules and morals and basically, it's own eco-system. It set itself apart from the rest of the world as something special because it owned time travel. As another book club member pointed out (hi Mum!) the book seemed to be trying to create a parallel with the Google's and the Facebook's of the world - an entity with so much control and power that it thinks itself above the laws.

On the psychology side, the book delves into the ways in which time travel might affect a person. How they become hardened to death and how they deal with romantic relationships and meeting oneself in the future or the past. This was the most interesting aspect of the book for me, I liked seeing the ways the people, and the company itself, dealt with the issues.

I enjoyed reading it and I loved some of the ideas and themes running through it but overall I thought it too messy with too many characters, none of them likeable enough to make me care for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Psychology of Time Travel.

August 10, 2018 – Shelved