Gigi's Reviews > The Nightingale

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

it was ok
bookshelves: dnf-2018

I had been looking forward to this book for months! So no one is more disappointed than I am to be DNF-ing this one. Maybe I'll come back to it at a later date.

The very first chapter was great and I thought it would be a hit, but I began to find parts that I thought were a bit confusing, if not contradicting:

- Vianne and her family were poor (or at least that was the impression), yet she lived what seemed to be a comfortable & lavish life. They lived in a home with acreage and drank fine wine. Doesn't sound like they were struggling to me.

- When Vianne and Isabelle's father abandoned them at a young age, based on how heart-broken Vianne was, it sounded like he left them for good and never returned. Yet, at the age of 18, Isabelle gets kicked out of school (again and from a refined school I might add) and ends up with her father?
WTF??
Not to be insensitive, but if they had access to their father via their school, then why be so melodramatic??

And here's where things started going downhill for me: unnecessary details!

"She smoothed the silk stockings up her legs, fastened them to her garters, and then slipped into a belted cotton frock with squared yoke collar"

-Um, is she getting ready for a date? to have sex? Cause in this scene she was going to see her husband off to the war. So why is this incredibly descriptive wardrobe important for what is supposed to be an emotional farewell?

-Sophie's bear Bebe moving from the shelf back to her bed.

I pretty much lost focus where Isabelle learns to eat an orange with a fork & knife, but refuses and gets kicked out.

Sorry guys. I tried!! I really wanted to love this like everyone else!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nightingale.

August 9, 2018 – Shelved
November 17, 2018 –
page 19
November 19, 2018 –
page 19
4.32% "I have a feeling I'm going to be an unpopular opinion. It's good, but I'm not gushing. I feel like there are unnecessary details making this a longer read than it needs to be."
November 25, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 10, 2018 – Shelved as: dnf-2018

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jess☺️ (new)

Jess☺️ Hope your next will be fantastic, I hate when you can't wait for to read a book then turns out to be disastrous 😬

Gigi Jess☺️ wrote: "Hope your next will be fantastic, I hate when you can't wait for to read a book then turns out to be disastrous 😬"
Thanks! Same here! Especially when it's a book that's popular and a lot of readers enjoyed :(