Amy's Reviews > Foreign Correspondence

Foreign Correspondence by Geraldine Brooks

liked it
bookshelves: hobbies-interests, memoir-types, non-fiction

As a long time pen-pal, I was excited for this one. The storyline was a bit scattershot, vacillating between current and past, with a strange tie in to her father's illness and references to his pen-pals that didnt quite jive when, at the end, the truth all came out. (Her father's illness is the catalyst for her seeking the past it seems, when she finds old letters in the basement).

I have to admit that it seems far fetched that this one girl from working class Sydney would herself become a renown journalist and author, married to same, and also befriend someone who would in turn find fame... These things don't happen to awkward 15 year old girls! I should know! I remember seeking out pen-pals at the same age, and I certainly don't have a story nearly as fantastic! (I lucked out and have had a 20+ year pen-friendship with a fantastic soul rather than several short lived ones)

The story was a lot more journalist than pen-pal, but it was really interesting that she eventually lived a life that allowed her to seek out these voices from her past, and to come full circle and see how their lives differed from her imaginations and wishes for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foreign Correspondence.

December 19, 2011 – Started Reading
December 19, 2011 – Shelved
December 19, 2011 – Shelved as: hobbies-interests
December 19, 2011 – Shelved as: memoir-types
December 19, 2011 – Shelved as: non-fiction
December 21, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Tiffany (new) - added it

Tiffany Fantastic soul? I'll take that :) It's been a pleasure.

This is on my To Read list so was interested to read your review. I have only read one of her books so far but I loved it and she seems like such a fascinating woman; I am dying to read this memoir.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I kept thinking that there is NO WAY this woman is telling the truth! Even her childhood was amazing! I was hoping it was more focused on pen pals - never having read her before and not knowing she was a for real foreign correspondent..... Was really cool that she sought out each of her 4 main pen pals and then did a bit of psycho-analysis against what she thought and wished their lives were, and what they actually were... Basically it was a story on finding your happiness... or not, in some cases..