Deborah E Kehoe's Reviews > Magic Triumphs

Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews

F 50x66

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read 3 times. Last read June 20, 2021 to June 22, 2021.

I am thrilled to have gotten an ARC of Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews. I am a huge fan of  this series and have read, listened to, and dreamed about every novel. I'll be honest though, if I hadn't gotten this ARC I may have sat on this novel for a little while. It's so hard to say goodbye to characters you love so much! As this book comes out on 8/28 I knew I'd have to buckle down and get over my emotional pain and read the novel. Without giving away the plot too much, here are my brief thoughts.
Kate- The reason why I love this heroine so much is because even though she has this incredible power and could do and be pretty much anything she wants, she remains true throughout this series. She wants to have friends, love, and have a home with Curran. A home, not a castle, not as ruler, just as a woman wanting to be with her man. Magic Triumphs stretches Kate further than she's ever been. As we have seen in the Oracles visions in past novels, Kate knows she will battle her father, Roland, which may cause her son or her husband Curran's death. She will do absolutely ANYTHING to keep their deaths from happening.
We found out at the end of Magic Binds that Kate is pregnant, so I'm not spoiling anything by saying that this novel starts off with the birth of their son and the majority of the novel takes place while her son is around 1 years old. He is such a fun presence in this novel and added something new and fresh to Kate's character. MOM. I also loved seeing how proud Curran is of his son, and I think my favorite line in this book is Curran's "He's a prodigy." Conlan, their little boy, is a little more than Kate had expected and his antics provide some much needed humor to what could have been a really darkly emotional novel.
The whole Kate Daniels series has been leading up to her battle with her father, Roland. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone when I say that yes, they battle. However, before that happens they have a couple of heart twanging moments that make you wish things had been different for Kate. It's a shame she didn't get the father she needed, but then we wouldn't have had all of these wonderful stories to read! I feel like Roland paused for a moment reflecting on that same wish. That he'd have had the chance to just love his daughter. However, he is who he is and can't change his megalomaniac ways...
Curran. I just love him. In Magic Triumphs he proves his worth as mate to Kate. They are now parents and we see them go through another evolution in their relationship, but Curran takes things even beyond where I saw his character going in order to keep his family safe. When I stop to think about it, it's pretty jaw dropping, but my lips are sealed!
Magic Triumphs ends on a positive note. When I say that, I mean that we are given hope that more novels in this world will be written. We already know that Hugh and Elara have their own series, and they are actually an integral part of this book as well. We get a hint at the end that two more characters may have their own stories written. I can only hope!
I am going to end this review by copying what Ilona Andrews wrote on their blog. Paraphrasing, of course. 'If this is the first time you have picked up a book in the Kate Daniels series. Put it down. Pick up Magic Bites. It's our least favorite in the series, but the first and it needs to be read in order. It gets better, we promise.' Boy does it!
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
I was given an ARC of this book through NetGalley for my honest review and it was honest!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Triumphs.

August 9, 2018 – Shelved
August 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 14, 2018 – Started Reading
August 14, 2018 –
August 14, 2018 –
13.0% "Off to a great start!"
August 16, 2018 – Finished Reading