Robert Owens's Reviews > Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance

Grit by Angela Duckworth

it was ok
bookshelves: nonfiction, psychological, kindle, public-library, reading-challenge

One of the reasons I love reading on the Kindle is because I can refer easily to the notes I take while reading. For instance, on page 92 I wrote the following:

Just putting this here: I don't care for this book.

Earlier this year I stumbled across this book in something I read. I tried to check it out via Overdrive, but it was a long wait. This summer I joined a reading challenge through my local library. One of the categories to read is nonfiction. I looked, and the wait was not too long for this book. I placed a hold on it. It came through in plenty of time.

The writing, I felt, was unfocused. There was no natural progression through the material. We ended with a discussion of Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks. That could have easily been the beginning or the middle of the book. The reader never had a sense of where he was headed.

This psychological science seems a bit iffy to me. Sure, lots of what is reported here is stuff I think most of us feel is self-evident ("Our potential is one thing. What we do with it is quite another.", “The plain fact remains that men the world over possess amounts of resource, which only very exceptional individuals push to their extremes of use.”, etc.).

Grit is defined as "having a passion to accomplish a particular top-level goal and the perseverance to follow through." Yeah, I think most of us would have come to something like that.

Furthermore, I think most of us recognize that those who have grit are more likely to succeed.

So, it becomes a question of building grit. Well, there were passages about that, but to this reader, they were weak. A lot of growth mindset discussion. I did note that the head of West Point indicated that children today are not motivated by yelling and screaming.

I was not particularly impressed with this read. I am happy to have finished it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grit.

July 31, 2018 – Started Reading