Robin's Reviews > Tahoe Skydrop

Tahoe Skydrop by Todd Borg

bookshelves: 2018-august, mystery

These appealing mysteries feature Spot, aka "largeness," the wonder harlequin great dane who always manages to nab the bad guy and save the day, and Owen McKenna, retired San Francisco homicide detective, who has just the right amount of intelligence, sensitivity, and manly man toughness to keep us female readers captivated. But the real star of the series (and the major reason I read them) is the totally authentic setting of Lake Tahoe, specifically the south shore area. I've been visiting the area for years and I learn something new about the area every time I read a title from this series. Borg is perfect at capturing the actual place names, history, and businesses in the story.

In his 16th entry, after an action-packed and chilling scene that would be right at home in a James Bond movie (or Mission Impossible), Borg again showcases McKenna’s brains and brawn in solving the kidnapping of a child and during the story manages to inform readers about topics such as ice climbing, paragliding, bitcoin (I never could figure out what that is and now I at least have a general idea), and even some psychology of transgender people. [As a former readers’ advisory librarian, I would receive requests for fiction that would “teach” the reader about some topic, and this would perfectly fill the bill.]

One can't go wrong with reading any of these as they are always filled with lots of action and a dang good mystery plot. This one was a bit better than most and I was pretty gob-smacked by the final revelation.

Readers of a good solid whodunit such as ones by Sue Grafton, JA Jance, and Marcia Muller will enjoy these, as will readers of C. J. Box and Craig Larson (Walt Longmire).
I would have purchased it anyway, but thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tahoe Skydrop.

August 9, 2018 – Started Reading