Melanie Cusick-Jones's Reviews > Starcrossed

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: 2012

I bought this ages ago on a recommendation and kind of forgot about it, so I started it last week without reading the blurb.

This is the first 'mythology' based YA I've read - not sure if there's loads of them around or not - and it was great. I loved the detail of the writing - the slow development of the character relationships; the dynamics added by the recycling of mythological characters and stories. It is good enough to keep you guessing what the mysteries are and how they will unfold.

I think what I liked best about this was the depth of the world-building: the reflection of well-known myths and lesser known classic themes is woven so well into the world of the Scions and I think gave a wonderfully deep texture to the world the story is told in. Helen and Lucas are a lovely pairing - I felt they were quite realistic in their relationship - with all the obvious difficulties - I've definitely got a soft spot for Lucas and Hector (but then I always loved Hector in the Illiad).

Overall - really liked this: it's intelligently written and works the mythology angles perfectly without being contrived or superficial. Can't wait for the next book - if I could have got it at 2.00am this morning I probably would have - so that tells me how much I enjoyed this! :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starcrossed.