Tim's Reviews > Red Planet

Red Planet by Robert A. Heinlein

Dec 19, 2011

bookshelves: audiobook, science-fiction, ya
Read from January 19 to February 26, 2012

I have a lot of love for this book and especially this audio production. This full-cast audio version has a different voice actor for each of the characters which makes it very much like a radio play instead of a narrated book.

This is one of Heinlein's classic juveniles. Because of that, the science is dated as well as the attitudes expressed in the book, especially in the views towards women. Since this is from 1949, women are viewed as to be protected by the men and work in the home. If one looks past this it's a quite entertaining adventure story about 2 boys and a "bouncer" (a small creature indigenous to Mars) making their way across Mars, although it changes in tone around later in the book (I'm trying to avoid spoilers). The only dull part is when the boys are at school, but it's necessary to set up the plot for the rest of the book. Thankfully, it's not too long.

Overall, this is one of my favourite Heinlein novels. If one can get past the dated nature, I'd recommend that they give it a try, especially if you can get the full-cast audio version.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Planet.