Eric Mesa's Reviews > Dungeon Hacks: How NetHack, Angband, and Other Roguelikes Changed the Course of Video Games

Dungeon Hacks by David L. Craddock

liked it
bookshelves: audiobooks

I got this book as part of a Humble Bundle. I chose to listen to it because Dan (one of my younger brothers) had roped me into Rogue-likes via FTL and Spelunky! The book was a fun, quick read of the history of these games. Two things were fascinating to me about the events of the book. One is remembering how primitive early computers were and how long it took them to get anywhere close to modern. This, of course, led to creativity in how to create games when disk space, RAM, or processing power were extremely limited. What was more fascinating to me was to see that the legacy of Rogue, Rogue-likes, and Rogue-like-likes was not just in modern games like Vertical Drop Hero, Diablo, FTL, and Spelunky! Lots of these games are still actively developed! While my fondness for many of the modern Rogue-likes demonstrates that I'm not a slave to graphics or music, it was interesting to read that as late as 2012 there were people actively developing (and playing) the original games developed in the 70s and 80s - or at least the most recent releases of those old games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dungeon Hacks.

August 8, 2018 – Started Reading
August 8, 2018 – Shelved
August 8, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks
August 8, 2018 –
11.0% "That period where people made games when the only computers were mainframes is always fascinating"
August 15, 2018 –
19.0% "Rogue is born"
August 22, 2018 –
32.0% "We move towards the PC era"
August 23, 2018 –
57.0% "An awesome high school teacher; Usenet; from hack to net hack; esr makes an appearance"
August 25, 2018 –
80.0% "Interesting that some of these are still being maintained in 2009"
August 29, 2018 –
95.0% "Modern times (and FTL!) for the last chapter"
August 31, 2018 – Finished Reading