Rick Riordan's Reviews > The Storm Runner

The Storm Runner by J.C. Cervantes

Welcome to the Volcano!

Zane Obispo has a pretty sweet life. Since last year, he’s been homeschooled, which means the other kids can’t pick on him anymore. He gets to spend a lot of his time out in the desert of New Mexico, wandering and exploring with his faithful boxer-dalmatian, Rosie.

His mom loves him like crazy. His uncle Hondo is a fun housemate, even though he’s maybe a little too addicted to pro wrestling and Flamin’ Hot Cheetos.

As for the neighbors, Zane only has two: friendly Mr. Ortiz, who grows top secret chile-pepper varieties in his garden, and Ms. Cab, who works as a phone psychic and pays Zane to help her out. What’s not to like?

And did I mention the volcano in Zane’s backyard?

That’s right. Zane has his very own volcano. He and Rosie spend a lot of time climbing around on it. Recently, they even found a secret entrance that leads inside. . . .

Yep, life is good!

Er, except that Zane was born with mismatched legs. One has always been shorter than the other, so he walks with a limp and uses a cane. He’s learning to deal, though, and is a crazy-fast hobbler.
Oh, and also . . .Zane just got accepted to a new private school. He doesn’t want to go, but his mom is insisting. Class starts tomorrow.

Then there’s the accident—Zane sees a small plane crash into the mouth of his volcano. He was close enough to glimpse the pilot’s face . . . and either it was a very good Halloween mask, or the pilot was an alien zombie monster.

On top of all this, there’s a pretty new girl in town— Brooks—who warns Zane he’s in mortal danger. But Brooks doesn’t exist, according to the school records. And how does she know who he is, anyway?

Soon, Zane discovers that nothing in his life is what he thought. There’s a reason he was born with a limp. There’s a reason he’s never met his father—a mysterious guy his mom fell in love with on a trip to the Yucatán. Something very strange is going on in Zane’s volcano, and Brooks claims it’s all tied to some ancient prophecy.

How much do you know about the Maya myths? Did you know the Maya have a goddess of chocolate? (Dude, how come the Greeks don’t get a goddess of chocolate? No fair.) The Maya also have shape-shifters, demons, magicians, giants, demigods, and an underworld that may or may not be accessible from the back of a local taco shop.

J. C. Cervantes is about to take you on a trip you will never forget, through the darkest, strangest, and funniest twists and turns of Maya myth. You will meet the scariest gods you can imagine, the creepiest denizens of the underworld, and the most amazing and unlikely heroes, who have to save our world from being ripped apart.

Maya myth and magic is closer than you think. In fact, it’s right in our backyard.

Welcome to the volcano. Welcome to The Storm Runner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Storm Runner.

Finished Reading
August 8, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Aaron I really enjoyed reading my NetGalley e-ARC. I don't like e- reading but if the book is really great... I am going to get Dragon Pearl soon too. Thanks for helping to bring these stories to us.

message 2: by celina ೃ (new)

celina ೃ i think i'm gonna read this;. also, i totally agree on the greek gods thing. we should have a goddess of chocolate, which is my favorite food in the world.

message 3: by celina ೃ (new)

celina ೃ thanks for telling me abot this book, although i might be jealous reading it.

message 4: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Dude, I want to read this so bigly!

message 5: by celina ೃ (new)

celina ೃ i think u mean 'badly'

Mary Lou Webb Thank you for such an outstanding, descriptive review. I’m always on the lookout for books that might interest my younger granddaughter (who didn’t inherit my love of reading). This is one I’ll purchase and pray she’ll get caught up in the story. My older granddaughter is my reader, and she has always loved your books.

message 7: by celina ೃ (new)

celina ೃ hahaha so have i!!!

message 8: by Vivian (new) - added it

Vivian Beautifully written review! Can't wait to try out this book!

message 9: by John (new)

John P. i want, no need it, if it was enough catch the mighty Riordan, i need it

message 10: by Cadence (new)

Cadence Villamor I don't understand why it says Rick Riordan presents...

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Do you have that intro thing memorized, or did you copy it down for this review?

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi Also, can we maybe have a Sumerian mythology book coming out in the near future? Just a suggestion....

message 13: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (Sumerian is like with Ishtar and Naram and stuff like that)

message 14: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret Margaret wrote: "Dude, I want to read this so bigly!"

Ha, lol. I did mean bigly. But yeah, badly works too.

Natalie Laclede I have my new obsession.

Evieroe Lovely book, defiantly read.

Evieroe Amazing book. I love it.

message 18: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Robinson Jr. I am almost near the end of the book. I really enjoyed the romp into the lesser known Mayan Mythology.

message 19: by Will (new) - rated it 5 stars

Will Robinson Jr. An incredible fantasy adventure.

KingdomReader I have yet to read the book but from what I have gathered its just the thing for me!

Unpopular Username May I just say that this book looks amazing? Thank you to the mighty Rick Riordan for such a fabulous review.

message 22: by K (new) - added it