Christine's Reviews > Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog

Marley and Me by John Grogan

F 50x66
Dec 18, 2011

bookshelves: english-412-reviews

This book is a fun read for all young adults. Although, made into a movie, this book best captures the imagination of the reader. I like the book better than the movie; it made me feel as if I knew Marley myself. Because of this, I think young adults would enjoy reading this. Entertaining and heartfelt, this book portrays what it means to have a pet as a family member. There is so much more description in the book than the movie.
Middle school students may appreciate the book more, mainly because the descriptions are so detailed. John Gorgan uses words in a way to allow readers to paint their own picture of Marley. A loveable dog that brings light to the family’s life despite the mischief he gets into. Mr. Gorgan is able to write a true story that is relatable to many people; the importance of the family pet.
This book is teachable because it opens up the discussion of the role that pets play in our lives. How our pets affect us and what they do that makes us live a more fulfilled life. For pet owners, there are times of anger and annoyance but the love is endless. No matter how angry our pets make us, we are always forgiving and eager for their love. In the end, it is our pet that teaches us, the true meaning of love. I think many students will be able to share stories on the topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marley and Me.