Keegan Gore's Reviews > Selected Stories

Selected Stories by Alice Munro

U 50x66

Seriously one on the best short story collections I've ever read. Each story is alive and brimming with emotion. Some made me want to cry, some shocked me, some had me putting the book down in disbelief, grabbing my forehead, pacing around my apartment in order to mull over what I had just read. I cannot say enough good things about Munro. In the introduction she refers to her stories as "houses"that one walks into, rather than linear paths one must take, and I am inclined to see her stories that way, as portals.
Mainly, Munro writes about young women in Canada. Some of these stories are set in the country, some revolve around urban life, and some straddle the line between the two. Some of her rural stories are indeed gothic, particularly the ones set in the nineteenth century. Mostly, the stories in this collection are about relationships, romantic and platonic, the tension between urban and rural life, and in general love, how to find meaning in one's life. Quite a few are about loneliness. If you like good, moving fiction then I highly recommend this, or really any of her collections. She's a nobel laureate for a reason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selected Stories.

Finished Reading