Ruthie Taylor's Reviews > Sink or Swim

Sink or Swim by L.A. Witt

~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

This is the eighth in the series, and whilst it will help to ground the story if you have read the others, I do think that it could stand alone - mainly you would miss out on the fact that the base has undergone some major changes in terms of acceptance and understanding, but there is still plenty of journey to go.

There are some absolutely fascinating issues dealt with in this book - and I have to admit that I am not usually one to mix religion with romance, the books which combine both often have a negative view of sex, love and acceptance. But I found that it generally was an interesting element to the story, and definitely a very open and honest viewpoint, rather than a preachy one. What I am trying to say, is that if you were reluctant in the face of the subject matter, I think you should be patient and hopefully will find it refreshingly positive and interesting.

Both Dylan and Alhazar have lived through marriages in spite of being gay, and have now come to a point where their children are old enough, and their careers established enough that they live their lives more openly. Not entirely in Alhazar's case, but both are divorced and have had real relationships. Indeed Dylan is still escaping the clutches of his abusive ex.

This is a bit of a slow burn of a story, with no major dramas, and two older men who are really feeling out what they do want from a partner, or not want, and I was getting a little tired of the hesitancy. However, they suddenly have a mission and that starting of a group and purpose to their futures made the story round out well, and leave an opportunity for good things to happen in a future installment too.

Wicked Reads Review Team

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sink or Swim.

Started Reading