Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)'s Reviews > Broken Things

Broken Things by Lauren Oliver

description

Actual rating: 3.5

Thank you Harper Collins for sending a review copy in exchange for an honest review

Trigger Warning: Murder, abuse, animal abuse, pedophilia, self harm and violence.

The moment I read the synopsis I knew I had to read this book. Mystery has never been one of my usual genres but I figured this one was definitely worth a try.

The way the first chapter started hooked me in immediately. I was intrigued by the plot and excited to start guessing who the real murderer was. The story was told from two perspective: Brynn and Mia. Both were Summer Marks best friends. We alternate between the two most of the time. There were chapters in between with quotes from The Way Into Lovelorn.

Brynn was a favorite. She was funny (her points of view were the funniest in my opinion) She admitted to the mistakes that she made even if she didn't voice them out loud. She had flaws but so does every character. Mia was a lot more quiet and didn't really say much to most people. She stood up when something wrong was done or said so that’s one thing. Both girls had their own things to deal with in this story. I liked getting to know how different they both were from each other.

The story was really easy to get into. I was interested from the beginning until the end. I played detective and kept keeping a mental profile of all the characters trying to guess who the murderer really was. The guessed who really killed Summer early on in the book but kept it aside. At some point I was 100% sure I was right. Turns out I actually was. I felt like guessing the killer really dimmed the magic of the story for me a little bit.

Overall, the story was really enjoyable. It was different than most of the book I’ve read. I really enjoyed the writing too. Would definitely recommend the book to those who love a good mystery.

|| Blog || Instagram ||

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Things.

August 8, 2018 – Shelved
page 274
September 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reading-challenge-list
September 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star-reads
September 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Mar✨ Now I'm really curious who the killer is!

message 2: by Fran (new)

Fran Thanks for the warning about material and content. That's incredibly thoughtful.

Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura) Mar✨ wrote: "Now I'm really curious who the killer is!"

Ugh how did Goodreads not notify me about this 😭 did you guess who it was?

Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura) Fran wrote: "Thanks for the warning about material and content. That's incredibly thoughtful."

No problem! I think it's important to let readers know just in case.