Brenda's Reviews > The Clockmaker's Daughter

The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton

It was 2017 in London when archivist Elodie Winslow discovered an old but beautiful leather satchel which, on inspection, contained a photograph of a woman in Victorian clothing, and a sketchbook with detailed artwork, including a house by a river. She had no idea why the two items felt so special to her, even making her feel like she was familiar with the house, but Elodie knew she had to find out more.

In 1862, a small group of friends, including artist and owner Edward Radcliffe, descended on Birchwood Manor for a summer of art and creativity. Edward was an artist just beginning to make his name – his muse a beautiful young woman who he declared he couldn’t paint without. But two weeks into their stay, disaster struck, and lives would be forever changed.

The Clockmaker’s Daughter is a novel stretched over time; told in many voices at varying times during the 150-year timeslot, there are many stories within the story and the link is always there. Concentration is needed with a lot of characters to keep track of; when a new family was introduced, I wondered who they were – until once again, their connection was shown. I feel Aussie author Kate Morton has a winner in The Clockmaker’s Daughter, and although I feel it was a little long, it's an exceptional read. A thoroughly entertaining novel which I highly recommend.

With thanks to Allen & Unwin for my ARC to read in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clockmaker's Daughter.

August 7, 2018 – Shelved
page 198
September 11, 2018 – Shelved as: 5000-books
September 11, 2018 – Shelved as: own-read
September 12, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review, Brenda.

message 2: by Britany (new) - added it

Britany Pretty cover on this edition!

Brenda Thanks Angela :) Yes Britany - our Australian covers in a lot of the cases seem just that bit better :)

Dale Harcombe Great review. I really liked this book too. Agree our Aussie cover is better.

Brenda Thanks Dale :)

message 6: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Glad you enjoyed it as I have it to read. I've always liked Kate Morton's books.

Phrynne I always find them too long and wordy but I will give this one a fair go:)
Vey nice review Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Carolyn and Phrynne :) One thing I can say for sure - you need to be able to concentrate! No distractions required ;)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Brenda! I was declined for this one but love this author. I hope its on Overdrive.

Brenda Thanks Mary Beth :) Hopefully you can read it soon :)

Susanne Strong Great review Brenda!

Brenda Thanks Susanne 😊