Marta Barrales's Reviews > The Looking Glass

The Looking Glass by Janet McNally

bookshelves: i-need, favorites

It’s been so long since I read a book this good I could cry. It’s just wonderful. I loved it. It had just the right amount of magic, melancholy and joy.

The story follows Sylvie, she’s a seventeen-year-old girl, rapidly approaching a professional ballet career. Apparently, her life is perfect, but on the inside her heart has been torn ever since her greater-than-life, big sister, Julia skipped town. Nowadays Sylvie navigates life with uncertainty, wondering if the strange things she sees are real and trying to fill in the shoes of her sister, who’s starting to feel more like a story than a real person. So, before Sylvie loses her head entirely, she decides to go looking for Julia, and hopefully find out how to move on as well.

As it often happens to me with books I love, I have a really hard time trying to find words to express just what made the experience so wonderful. But I can tell you this:

The writing style is nothing short of beautiful. Despite the story having a modern-day setting, it reads like a fairy tale. Which suits the plot very well. The descriptions are vivid, making it very easy for the story to envelop you.

The characters are so well portrayed. Not only the main ones, but even the tiny ones are so easy to picture. Their motivations and personalities are clear as water, and you can see, and make sense of their interactions. I loved Sylvie, her struggle trying to find who she is herself, apart from her sister was so compelling.

The romance won me little by little. I didn’t I was going to like it, but it became one of the very best parts of the story without necessarily recurring to any clichés or tropes. It grew very naturally and so sweetly.

The atmosphere alone had me glued to the story from the very first pages. This book combines just the right parts of sadness, grief, hope and joy, all of it with a subtle touch of magic that made reading it such an enjoyable experience. It came along just at the right point in my life.

The Looking Glass has definitely gained a place in my heart. And in my mind, because honestly, I’ve been thinking about non-stop it since I finished it. I might even re-read it once I get my hands on a printed copy. So you know, if you like magical realism, this lovely book is for you.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review from the publisher via Edelweiss.

INSTAGRAM | BLOG | PINTEREST | GOODREADS

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looking Glass.

August 7, 2018 – Started Reading
August 7, 2018 – Shelved
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: i-need
August 8, 2018 –
52.0% "I think I love this book. I think it gets me."
August 9, 2018 – Finished Reading