Carra's Reviews > Who We Were

Who We Were by Melissa  Collins

liked it

One thing this author does really well is present characters that have depth and can trigger an emotional response for me, either positive or negative. This time around with Who We Were is no different when it came to character depth for both Ryan and Quinn, though this time around my responses included irritation. The angst level was also pretty high through most of the story which for me became a bit frustrating after a while.

I liked the setup during the first part of the story when they were in high school, and that they were able to form a friendship first. I was disturbed by the relationship between Ryan and his family with the discrepancy of treatment between him and his brother being so glaringly obvious, and the outright bullying from his brother. The first part gives readers a kind of in-story mini cliffhanger since we don’t know the real reason behind Ryan leaving.

It was gratifying to see how successful both Ryan and Quinn became as adults in their careers. But it was as adults where my frustration and irritation started to really seep in since though we’re told he and his family have worked through things to a point it didn’t lower the angst level at all, plus Ryan reverts to running away again after an encounter with his brother and then Quinn…a scene that is too reminiscent of what happened the first time Ryan left.

This is the first time I’ve read a book from this author that had a disjointed feel to it; to add to that, once the big reason behind Ryan’s behavior is revealed (after much to-do and blustering about it), it felt like much ado about…well, not nothing but definitely not as dire as it was made to seem. The fact that he didn’t want to share the information with Quinn left lingering doubts considering his apparent feelings for Quinn.

The epilogue was an angst-free zone, and does show how happy Ryan and Quinn are in the end, though for me it didn’t quite balance out the overwhelmingly high angst level of the rest of the story and the levels of irritation and frustration that had built up during the rest of the book.

Who We Were is getting 3.5 stars from me, it’s one of those stories that had me sitting on the fence for the majority of the read and feeling not quite whole once I was done reading (I really can’t elaborate more without spoilers). It’s definitely for readers 18+ for adult language and sexual content.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who We Were.

August 7, 2018 – Shelved