Julie's Reviews > November Road

November Road by Lou Berney

November Road by Lou Berney is a 2018 William Morrow publication.

A stylish piece of historical crime fiction-

1963-

Carlos Marcello the head of a large New Orleans crime syndicate is behind the assassination of the president of the United States. Frank Guidry, is one of Marcello’s best guys, but Frank, unknowingly became a part of the assassination plan, which means he has become a loose end, meaning his days are numbered.

Making a run for it, Frank encounters, Charlotte, a young mother who decided to leave her ne’er do well husband. Charlotte is having some car trouble, and winds up at the same motel as Frank. The two strike up a conversation and before long, the wheels in Frank’s mind start turning. Anyone searching for him would not be looking for a man traveling with a family. So, he offers Charlotte and her children a ride to her aunt’s home in LA. It is the perfect set up for Frank, until he realizes he’s put this young mother and her children in grave danger, and his once hardened heart, can’t bear the thought of that.

As the couple spends more time together, Charlotte starts to care for Frank as well, and although, deep down, she senses something about him isn’t entirely on the up and up, she still puts her faith in him, remaining completely ignorant of her precarious situation. Frank’s time with Charlotte, under the strain of life on the run, facing his own mortality, has him contemplating a different kind of life, one where he could have a family of his own.

Lou Berney certainly has a way with words. He also perfectly captures the shocked and grief- stricken mood of the country, building rich, dark, and conflicted characterizations, while keeping the reader on the edge of their seats with a palpable atmosphere of foreboding.

This is another amazing story by Berney. I don't know how he manages to capture time in a perfect freeze frame, holding the characters still, right in that moment, where the entire world seemed to shift with JFK’s murder. The story is chilling, yet, has its moments of genuine pleasure. The road trip, the fraught romantic entanglements, and the inner thoughts of the characters, as they each reach a life changing fork in the road- as does the country is a stunning combination.

There’s a new door opening on the one just closed, pitting the feeling of hope against the feeling of dread.

“With every decision we create a new future. We destroy all other futures.”

Once more, for me, here is a mob figure I find myself liking, despite everything I know about it him and the actions I’ve seen him take. Watching him transform was maybe a little bittersweet, under the circumstances, but it was also a big part of why this book ticks all the boxes.

Charlotte is braver that she may appear to some readers, as in the early sixties, divorce was still a stigma. I admired her tenacity, and the way her resolve strengthened, the more empowered she feels by the possibility of controlling her own destiny.

This book is riveting, suspenseful, and so eloquently written, at times I thought my heart might skip a beat.

Berney said he hoped this book would be ‘both hard to put down and hard to forget’ and I’d say he accomplished that goal and then some!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read November Road.

Finished Reading
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: crime-drama
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-authors
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: william-morrow-impusle

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

message 1: by S.P. (new) - added it

S.P. Aruna Bobby Kennedy practically kidnapped Marcello and dumped him in the jungles of Guatemala. This should be an interesting read!

Julie S.P. wrote: "Bobby Kennedy practically kidnapped Marcello and dumped him in the jungles of Guatemala. This should be an interesting read!"
Yes, Marcello hated the Kennedy's, which, of course, would make him a viable suspect. But, this book really doesn't focus on that angle too closely. Still, I highly recommend this book. It's amazing!! 😊

message 3: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Terrific review, Julie. I loved the book of his I read as you know, so will definitely be reading this one :)

message 4: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Great review, Julie !

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Terrific review, Julie. I loved the book of his I read as you know, so will definitely be reading this one :)"

Thank you, Antoinette! I hope you enjoy this one as much as did! 😊

Julie Angela M wrote: "Great review, Julie !"

Thank you, Angela! 😊

message 7: by JV (new) - added it

JV Happy to see those 5 amazing stars! Fab review, Julie! 😊

RedemptionDenied Great review, Julie!

message 9: by Candi (new) - added it

Candi Fantastic review, Julie! It's on my list!

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Sounds fantastic Julie!

message 11: by KAS (new)

KAS So glad you really admire this author’s writing, Julie, and this one kept you on the edge of your seat ;) Outstanding review!! 😘❤️

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy Amazing review!

Julie JV wrote: "Happy to see those 5 amazing stars! Fab review, Julie! 😊"

Thank you, JV!! 😊😊

Julie Amy wrote: "Amazing review!"

Thank you, Amy!! 😊😊

Julie KAS wrote: "So glad you really admire this author’s writing, Julie, and this one kept you on the edge of your seat ;) Outstanding review!! 😘❤️"
Thank you, KAS!! 😊😊

Julie Holly wrote: "Sounds fantastic Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 😊😊

Julie Candi wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! It's on my list!"

Thank you, Candi!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 😊😊

Julie RedemptionDenied wrote: "Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, RD!! 😊😊

message 19: by Scott (new)

Scott S. Nice review, Julie.

Julie Scott wrote: "Nice review, Julie."

Thank you, Scott!! 😊

message 21: by Babydimps (Suzy) (new)

Babydimps (Suzy) Super review Julie! 😊

Julie Babydimps (Suzy) wrote: "Super review Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Suzy!! 😊

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you, Brenda!! 😊😊

message 25: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Gipson Excellent review Julie! Great that you’ve enjoyed another story by this author. 😊

message 26: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Julie, keep hearing good things about this one 💕

message 27: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Fab review Julie! 😊

Tom Swift Great review, I lived this book.

Julie Tom Swift wrote: "Great review, I lived this book."

Thank you, Tom!! Me too! 😊

Julie Karen wrote: "Fab review Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Karen! 😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Great review Julie, keep hearing good things about this one 💕"

Thank you, Maureen!! I highly recommend anything by Lou Berney! 😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Excellent review Julie! Great that you’ve enjoyed another story by this author. 😊"
Thank you, Nicola!! I'm thinking Lou Berney is a 'go to' author from now on! Good stuff! 😊

message 33: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Wonderful review, Julie!

message 34: by JanB (new) - added it

JanB Julie, I have this from BOTM and I'm so looking forward to it, even more now after reading your excellent review!

Susanne Strong I LOVE your review Julie! I am so very very happy that you loved this book! There were so many quotes from this one that struck me.. I fell in love.. I can’t wait to do that again! THis was my first read by Lou Berney! I am trying to figure out which book to read next..

Julie Tammy wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Tammy!! 😊😊

Julie JanB wrote: "Julie, I have this from BOTM and I'm so looking forward to it, even more now after reading your excellent review!"

Thank you, Jan!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! 😊😊

Julie Susanne wrote: "I LOVE your review Julie! I am so very very happy that you loved this book! There were so many quotes from this one that struck me.. I fell in love.. I can’t wait to do that again! THis was my firs..."

Thank you, Susanne!! The Long and Faraway Gone is AMAZING!! I think you would like that one a lot- oh- and it won an Edgar Award too. 😊😊

message 39: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review, Julie!!

Julie Deanna wrote: "Excellent review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Deanna! 😊😊

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗💕"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊😊

message 43: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Fabulous review Julie!! So glad you enjoyed!!!

Julie Kendall wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!! So glad you enjoyed!!!"

Thank you, Kendall!! 😊😊

Susanne Strong Julie wrote: "Susanne wrote: "I LOVE your review Julie! I am so very very happy that you loved this book! There were so many quotes from this one that struck me.. I fell in love.. I can’t wait to do that again! ..."

Thanks Julie! I just bought it b/c of what you said and we are going to read it soon! It looks so good! :)

Julie Susanne wrote: "Julie wrote: "Susanne wrote: "I LOVE your review Julie! I am so very very happy that you loved this book! There were so many quotes from this one that struck me.. I fell in love.. I can’t wait to d..."

YAY!! Hope you love it as much as I did! Happy reading!! 😊😊

message 47: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review Julie!💖😉

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Julie!💖😉"

Thank you, Kat! 💖