Demo's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Dec 18, 2011

bookshelves: makes-you-really-think, stupid-love-interest, better-than-expected, demented, don-t-judge-a-book-by-its-cover, fangirling, originality, so-insanely-in-love-with, made-me-puke-rainbows-of-joy
Recommended to Demo by: Karma
Recommended for: Fans of detective shows

I love this.

When it comes to mysteries and whodunits, I'm not very easy to surprise. The culprit is usually stupidly obvious, all the clues have something in common, and meanwhile the detectives are just standing around like idiots going, "Hmm... Who's the killer? The weird looking guy with the bitter glare? Or the flamboyant grinning woman?"

"I know, it's the creepy dude!"

No, you imbeciles, I always feel like saying to them. It's the lady. Duh.

But somehow, this book had me jaw-dropping and "No freaking way!"ing with the twists it presented. I admit, some of it I figured out on my own before it was revealed, but with most of the story, it took me by surprise. Also, I ended up being dead wrong about more than half of the suspicions I had in the beginning-middle of the story. But instead of feeling like a blind moron, I was thinking more along the lines of, This is one clever author...

Also, I'm a total sucker for stories that have to do with psychology. I just love insane characters---They are so much more fun than boring normal people. And also because, when the story is being told from said insane person's point of view, you understand how their way of thinking makes sense or works. If anyone witnessed Mara Dyer's entire story from the outside, they would surly believe that she was totally crazy and not in her right mind---which I guess is sort of true. But when you are faced with the same story in a first person perspective, it changes. Suddenly, you think what is going in the character's head is completely reasonable, until later on when you've put the book down and you're thinking to yourself, Maybe running through traffic and laughing maniacally wasn't exactly sane.... Maybe that girl really is off her rocker.... The author found a way to make the heroin's behavior seem realistic and believable, so you don't really grasp the concept that Mara is mad until later.

And I'm sitting here typing this, like, Holy shit, when did I become so observant?

But anyway, there was a lot of pyschological type things in here that I didn't pick up until later. Such as, I didn't think it weird that Mara decided to get the earrings in the bathtub herself instead of just closing the drain. Then I saw the simpler solution a few chapters later, when she did another inconspicuously questionable thing. And then by the last few chapters, It finally hit me: Oh. She really is insane.

But the author just portrays it so well!

There's also a lot of character development that came so gradually that I didn't see it coming. Mara went from irritable confused sarcastic teenager, to terrified lethal psychopath. Noah went from disheveled cocky selfish bastard, to disheveled cocky loyal/caring bastard. It was just so subtle and then BANG! They were totally different people than from the beginning of the book.

The plot development was impressive, as well. We're given a number of subplots splayed before us like a deck of cards. One could be clubs, another hearts, the other diamonds---totally different, but yet all apart of the same deck. And we don't realize this until the last page, when all the cards are flipped over one by one to reveal the same back pattern---they were related after all!

I was surprised, all right. Probably because my lack of expectation for this book. I've read so many hateful reviews for it, and usually, the hateful reviews are correct. So I didn't expect much. But here I am, typing 90 miles per hour all wide eyed and chiz.

However, there were flaws and disagreements I had with Miss Dyer. For example, her devotion to the biggest douchebag in school. The fact that said douchebag does not know how to dress correctly or shave but yet is still labeled "hot" by everyone. Said douchebag's inaccurate assumption that all American's listen to shitty music.

But I'm willing to forgive that last one, because it's noted in the beginning of the book that Mara loves Death Cab for Cutie. So obviously the author is aware of the fact that there are good American bands.

Anyway, I have no clue what I'm planning to accomplish with this. Probably most of the people who are reading it have already read the book, so that's pointless. But whatever. I'm writing this shit anyway.

Happy New Year's!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

December 18, 2011 – Started Reading
December 18, 2011 – Shelved
December 18, 2011 –
page 1
0.22% "LOOKY WHAT I FOUND WHILE PICKING UP ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS. Let's see if this sucks as much as everyone says."
December 21, 2011 –
page 7
1.55% "I wish she would stop referring to the oracle on a Ouija board as "the piece." It's called an oracle. Look it up."
December 22, 2011 –
page 15
3.32% "First she says the sun is reflecting of Rachel's coffin, and then one paragraph later on the same page, she says it's a "gray and white day." Make up your mind."
December 23, 2011 –
page 18
3.98% "Okay, so it's been about a week since she woke up (give or take a few days). And they're already moving because of Mara's traumatic stress? Doesn't moving take... months? Also, how is that enough to declare that Mara is incapable to stay in the same house anymore? IT'S BEEN ONE WEEK!"
December 23, 2011 –
page 28
6.19% "His tie is loose. His shoes have no laces. His cuffs are undone. His chin is stubbly. His hair is sticking up in all directions. I'm half expecting to hear her say his shirt's open and his pants unzipped. Seriously, what kind of half-ass job did he do getting dressed?"
December 24, 2011 –
page 37
8.19% "If I ever saw an apparition, I would talk to him/her. Not run away. Where's the fun in that?"
December 24, 2011 –
page 47
10.4% "Pshht. Please. No one's that nice to their younger sibling."
page 65
14.38% "Remember the other day when I said narcissists in literature are always annoying? Ladies and gentlemen: NOAH SHAW----Exhibit A."
page 98
21.68% "I actually like Mara. She's funny. And I like the fact that she keeps telling Noah off."
page 106
23.45% "Is Noah supposed to be sexy? Because all I can picture is a more disheveled version of this: "
page 122
26.99% "Why do heroins always lose their minds whenever a guy corners them? What the hell! Your determination is shit! Five seconds ago you wanted to strangle him, and now you can barely resist making out? FICTIONAL WOMEN MAKE NO SENSE."
December 26, 2011 –
page 142
31.42% "I really hate Mara's mother. If my mom ever treated me like that, like I was some dangerous lunatic that needed to be locked up in an asylum, World War III would break loose."
page 142
31.42% "I don't care how many puppies he saves! I do not like the douchebag! Stop overrating everything he does!"
page 193
42.7% ""Not possible. You're American," he said. "And if [you are more musically well-rounded than me], it's only because you like crap." I absolutely loathe him. Going off that stupid stereotype? Sure, there's Justin Beaver and etc, but there's also tons of talented artists. You know who else came from America? MCR! SO HA! "
page 199
44.03% "Dammit, Noah! Stop saying things I actually agree with! Somehow, it makes me hate you more."
December 30, 2011 –
page 221
48.89% "I don't get it. How can someone with that terrible of a past be so arrogant? Don't you think he would have gained at least a little maturity after that incident?"
December 30, 2011 –
page 249
55.09% ""I'd hit that so hard whoever pulled me out would become the King of England." Oh, that's charming. The sad thing is, I can so see boys at my school saying something stupid like that."
page 340
75.22% "I'm very happy. I love books about insane people. They're just so much more fun than boring humans."
page 373
82.52% "Those pesky animal crackers. Always misbehaving."
page 404
89.38% "This book just suddenly became amazing. Like, it went from alright/decent, to holy-shit/so-fantabulous. What gives?"
January 2, 2012 –
page 452
100.0% "HOLY SHIT. Must review right away. This book just surprised the hell out of me."
January 2, 2012 – Finished Reading
February 17, 2012 – Shelved as: fangirling
February 17, 2012 – Shelved as: originality
February 17, 2012 – Shelved as: so-insanely-in-love-with
February 27, 2012 – Shelved as: made-me-puke-rainbows-of-joy

Nikkita You know you do hella good job in making reviews. :) I really like this one :(

Nikkita shit. that's a :) *