Olivia's Reviews > Age of Assassins

Age of Assassins by R.J.  Barker

bookshelves: fantasy

I finally got around to diving into The Wounded Kingdom by R.J. Barker, and it didn't take me long to read through Age of Assassins.

Age of Assassins follows two protagonists. A fifteen year old disabled boy called Girton and his Master, who is one of the most experienced assassins in this world. (Sadly, in this book there's not nearly enough assassinating happening for a book that has the word assassins in the title.)

The majority of the book is told in first person from the point of view of Girton. The bond between the two main characters is touching, and later in the book Barker develops a friendship between Girton and another young man, which turns out to be equally touching. I love finding traces of humanity in grim worlds like this.

This is a fairly short read in the fantasy genre, but it's packed with great world building and quite a bit of scope, which makes me look forward to the sequels. At its heart it's a mystery, but there's so much more: friendship, loyalty, coming of age, politics and quite a bit of back-stabbing.

R.J. Barker has a unique writing style, which flows nicely and is enjoyable to read, almost poetic in places. I highly recommend this to all fantasy fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Age of Assassins.

August 7, 2018 – Shelved
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 15, 2018 – Started Reading
August 18, 2018 –
page 95
23.28% "There’s a lot of expiation here but it’s also very interesting."
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I'm glad you enjoyed it 😊