The Cats Mother's Reviews > The Wife Before Me

The Wife Before Me by Laura Elliot

5720552

bookshelves: crime-or-mystery, arc-or-netgalley, read-in-2018

This tense domestic suspense thriller covers ground which has been well trodden in recent years - abuse by a charming psychopath concealed by an apparently perfect marriage, so if you read a lot in this genre, which I have this year, the basic premise will feel very familiar. There is a slightly unusual spin on things, however, which I liked once I worked out what was going on.

Returning to Ireland after the unexpected death of her mother after several years in Australia, Elena is distraught and vulnerable when she meets handsome banker Nicholas, and is rapidly swept up into a passionate romance. Things turn sour when she realises he is still obsessed with his wife, Amelia, whose car slid into the sea years earlier, her body never found. This is told in three parts, Elena’s story in the present, Amelia’s in the past, with extra narration from her best friend, and then back to the present.

I found the first part hard to read, as Elena tolerates the escalating physical and psychological abuse that Nicholas dishes out even quite early in the relationship, when she had every opportunity to leave. She is supposedly depressed about her mother’s death (although was not so bothered about her poor widowed mother when she flitted off to Oz) but even so, warning signs should have been blaring. I contemplated abandoning this around 30% in, as it seemed obvious what was going to happen, and probably would’ve had it not been a NetGalley ARC. I am glad I didn’t, as Amelia’s story was a lot more interesting, even though she too, as a smart independent career woman, should’ve walked away at the first punch, and then the fightback in the final third had me gripped.

My thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review and my apologies for this being past the publication date, which was 24.08.18.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wife Before Me.

August 7, 2018 – Shelved
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: arc-or-netgalley
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: crime-or-mystery
August 31, 2018 – Started Reading
August 31, 2018 –
September 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
September 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Great review!Sounds like a good book!

The Cats Mother Cheers Rachel. There have been mixed reviews but I liked it

message 3: by sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

sue On my shelf. Great encouraging review

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Great review TCM! I too found myself able to relate more to Amelia's story, and just loved the fightback. It was just the very end, the injection of paranormal, that disappointed me. 😎