Jennifer's Reviews > Tiffany Blues

Tiffany Blues by M.J. Rose

bookshelves: adult-content, historical-fiction, listened-to-audiobook, mystery, read-2018, stand-alone-novel, rdn

★★★½
Tiffany Blues is my least favorite M.J. Rose novel to date but it's still well worth the read. Although historical fiction, it is based on the nonfiction Louis Comfort Tiffany and his prestigious artist colony that was housed at his New York estate: Laurelton Hall in the early 1900's. According to the author, all art history facts about the late Mr. Tiffany are true (and she did her research!) but all other characters were drafted from her imagination. In addition to historical fiction, this novel incorporates art, trauma, mystery, family issues, social and criminal elements, media accountability, the aftermath of war, the idea of connecting with the dead, substance abuse/addiction, and romance. There's a lot here but it flows well and allowed me to stay invested in what turned out to be an interesting tale.

I love Rose's ability to produce her one-of-a-kind hauntingly gothic romance, but in my opinion this element was lacking in Tiffany Blues. I think that's what brought this particular title down the totem pole for me personally. Sure, there is romance, and one particularly memorable paint-involved scene, but the focus lay elsewhere and in retrospect that's okay. I enjoyed it, learned from it, and was inspired by it...and if that's not a worthwhile reading experience then I don't know what is.

My favorite quote:
"There's no time, though, day or night, when you can't find something to delight and amaze you."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiffany Blues.

August 7, 2018 – Started Reading
August 8, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 8, 2018 – Shelved as: stand-alone-novel
August 8, 2018 – Finished Reading
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: rdn

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa I love that you include your favorite quote. This is a great one!

Jennifer Teresa wrote: "I love that you include your favorite quote. This is a great one!"

Yes, I love this reminder to get outside our heads and look at the beauty around us ❤️