James's Reviews > The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Magician's Nephew

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-young-adult, 9-read-2018-08-august, 3-multi-book-series

As part of a Children's Book Readathon on my blog, we voted and are reading some classic young adult novels this week. Come join us! Today's review is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardobe/The Chronicles of Narnia 6 Vols, the 2nd book in the Chronicles of Narnia series, by C.S. Lewis. I read this book as a child several times, then again as an adult before the movies came out. This was probably my fifth time, but it's one of my top ten all-time favorites.

Set in England during the war, 4 children are sent off to a peculiar, older man's country home for safety from German bombs. Shortly after they arrive, the youngest finds herself embroiled in a small game of hide-and-seek leading her to take refuge in a wardrobe. Eventually her siblings follow suit and they enter a magical world where mythical creatures and animals are all stuck in winter. They try to find a way out, learn they're meant to co-rule the land, and find themselves captured and in a different kind of war. I'm being vague as everyone knows the story or if they don't, I shall not ruin it for you!

C.S. Lewis as a brilliant imagination. I fall for these characters every time. I could read it repeatedly without ever bring bored. I've read the whole series once before, but I'm considering doing it again. I always forget that this is actually the second book in the series, too. Aslan is one of my favorite all-time heroes. The witch is also one of my favorite enemies. Between the bonds of siblings, trusting strangers, the similarities between the war inside the wardrobe and the one in reality, this book tells so much more than the journey on the surface.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe / The Magician's Nephew.

August 7, 2018 – Shelved
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
August 7, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-fic-young-adult
August 17, 2018 – Started Reading
August 18, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-08-august
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 20, 2019 – Shelved as: 3-multi-book-series

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister Gosh! I agree with everything you said! Excellent review! A favorite of mine too.

James Enchantress debbicat ☮ wrote: "Gosh! I agree with everything you said! Excellent review! A favorite of mine too." Glad we're in agreement! :)

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was my favorite cartoon movie growing up. I can't wait to read this to my daughter when she grows up!

James It will be awesome to share it with her!!!