Helen Christmas's Reviews > Silent Victim

Silent Victim by Caroline Mitchell

I started this absolute blinder of a book, after having thoroughly enjoyed 'Witness' and it did not disappoint. Once again, Caroline's writing skill comes beaming out of the pages with every chapter. It shook me to the core with its intense plot and intricately woven characters.
The concept of grooming, especially when it involves a schoolgirl, can be a harrowing topic but in this story it is handled sensitively and intelligently, from the (sometimes staggering) perspectives of from victim and sexual predator.
The mystery of how one character ends up dead is perplexing, forcing you to wonder what happened. But are they dead? Or is this just another twist in a very cruel game? The central character, Emma, is perplexing; a girl with no friends, (which surprised me) until details of her young life unraveled, from family problems and isolation to the more complex battle of low self esteem and bulimia. An excellent depiction of the darker elements of society and with such a clever plot, it was hard to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Victim.

July 22, 2018 – Started Reading