Vanessa's Reviews > Freshwater

Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi

liked it

This was an intense read on so many levels. It’s strange but in a way that makes (mostly) perfect sense. The many facets of a person. The inner characters that live inside all of us.

It is written in a completely unique and transformative way both contemporary and traditional. A real psychological analysis of a fractured individual being and the broken mind. How trauma can really fracture and consume a person. The inner dialogue that taunts and heals.

The book is steeped in surreal imagery, full of symbolic meaning a real spiritual journey it’s not an easy quick read this needs to be savoured and contemplated. The book had to grow on me as I was feeling resistant towards it at first. This feels like it needs to be read and then reread to get the full impact of the meaning of the book. I hovered over a 3 and 4 star rating so I’ll go with 3.5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freshwater.

August 6, 2018 – Started Reading
August 6, 2018 – Shelved
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Great review, Vanessa! I have this one but it's not on my current reading list yet. I have a feeling I would have to be in a certain frame of mind to read and enjoy it.

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I agree about the reading and then re-reading, Vanessa. It is heavy in language (and content too), and requires a lot of thought. Your review describes it perfectly!

Vanessa Thanks Jaline! Yes it’s quite a difficult read for many reasons so I understand you needing to pick the right time for it.

Vanessa Thank you Jennifer! I’m glad you were thinking along the same way :)

Norma * Traveling Sister Great review, Vanessa!

Vanessa Thank you Norma!

Dianne Felt the same way; you summed it up well! Nice review.

Vanessa Thank you Dianne! It was a hard book to review, but glad you felt similar 🙏☺️