Sol ~ TheBookishKing's Reviews > Catwoman: Soulstealer

Catwoman by Sarah J. Maas
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
69919640
's review

did not like it
bookshelves: absolute-trash

Buddy Read with my Fave: William!

This Review Can Be Found on my Blog: Catwoman - Soulstealer

Dora: "Can you say trash?"
Me: "Catwoman!
Dora: "Louder"
Me: "CATWOMAN SOULSTEALER!'
Dora: "Good job!

This is easily the biggest piece of trash I've ever read. Who let this book be published. WHO?! Who thought "Oh yeah this book is top notch DC, top-notch storytelling, top-notch EVERYthing." If the cover alone isn't a Capital Offense then SURELY the insides of this book is an Offense.

As a majority of everyone knows I am one of the Largest SJM Stan out there. So obviously this book was High on my Anticipated Reads of 2018. And of course, everyone knows that she has some issues with her writing. NOW I don't necessarily understand all the hate (okay I do I do, I just stan her work hard okay.) But right off the bat this book just sucks.

We have two main characters in this book, Selina Kyle (who I just kept pronouncing as Celaena and Selina is just everything Celaena tries to be) and Luke Fox. Now, of course, Selina is white and blond and tan and waxed (she said her legs were waxed at least twice I promise) and a perfect assassin. But Luke is a black male Main Character! From SJM! I was baffled! And also CRAZY EXCITED ! ... and then the excitement lasted about 5 pages because SJM tries to act like she knows what it's like to be black and oppressed in Gotham City at least 10 times. But Luke and his family are RICH so honestly they hang out with rich people and never in the East Side where all the cops are down at. Like okay SJM I get it, you're trying to be strong and talk about oppression but You're Doing It Completely Wrong. AND THEN Selina tries to talk about what it's like to be Black and Oppressed, but it can't be that bad cause he's rich. YIKES.

So here I am texting Amber and yelling at her violently because I'm High Key ANNOYED with SJM and I'm not even 100 pages into the book. But okay LET me split Selina and Lukes stories up.

S E L I N A:
Selina in the first two chapters is younger than she is in the rest of the book. It's her prologue, her story about how she's in a gang to learn to protect her sister who has a severe chronic illness. And she has to protect her sister because her mom is abusive and always on alcohol/drugs. But okay something bad happens and Selina goes to the Leopard Training something Zoo to learn to be an assassin and her sister goes to a foster home since their mother is incompetent to take care of her. And then once Selina is back in Gotham SHE NEVER TALKS ABOUT HER SISTER. EVER. This girl who she protected for years and went away to protect her is NEVER TALKED ABOUT. Please, how does this make sense? It doesn't but anyways! Selina is crazy bland, boring, and her sexuality is NOT talked at all and I know how a lot of y'all were expecting it. Selina is crazy boring I can't begin to explain to it to you.

L U K E:
Luke is a character that I would have really liked if it wasn't for the fact that he was terribly bland as well. And I know a lot of Xxtra Die Hard SJM Fans are going to praise her so hard for having a POC Main Character. But like okay SJM is just reaching for Diversity at this point and I need to talk about Luke not SJM. I also want to say that when you have a POC character their whole existence shouldn’t be about oppression. Okay so, Luke is Batman's sidekick, the knock-off version whose name is Batwing. He's rich, he's spoiled, and he’s a Marine. He also has War Veteran PTSD, in which Amber had to explain to me because I only thought he got in a car crash and not was in a war?! The book seriously talked about it for 2 sentences. That’s all Luke is.

My Issues with SJM:
Aha so yeah I love both of her series, I really do. Do I recommend them to people?Yeah I do even though I probably shouldn’t. They have so many issues and just I do always issue caution when reading because some things are problematic. But in this book I thought, aha no way can SJM ruin a book about superheroes and Feminism and action. Yeah aha aha aHA she did though, she actually butchered it so bad. She like tries to be SO HIP and cool with the TIMES and being diverse. No just stop. I would rather read a book with an all white cast because that’s what she knows how to write instead of a book where she tries to be cool with DIVERSE and butcher it and make me uncomfortable. SO BEFORE I had said that Sarah should stop writing books. That was really wrong and rude to say tbh no one should every stop doing what they love. That wasn't cool and I apologize BUT after this book and after Kingdom of Ash I think I’m just going to cancel SJM because I just can’t anymore.

~ SPOILERS BUT THIS REALLY NEEDS TO BE READ BECAUSE SOME OF THE STUFF COULD BE VERY HARMFUL TO YOU~

Issue One: Selina and Luke both have PTSD. Luke has War Veteran PTSD and Selina has Abusive PTSD. And of course knowing SJM, the romance is going to be between these two characters. But what is SO wrong about this whole Romance is that the PTSD is used as a plot point to move the ROMANCE further instead of focusing on healing like she normally does. WHICH was a shocker for me because ACOMAF and TOD were both about healing through illness and not using it as a plot point for romance. So I was so mad and this is so harmful and insensitive!? LIKE HOW could you even do this?!

Issue Two: The storyline. Was there a storline?! NOT FOR THE FIRST 200 pages at least. It’s just robbing banks and Selina thinking she’s cool as she tries to live a double life?! But then Luke is all like wow gotta help these Poor Kids OH WAIT Catwoman is stealing again I need to save the day. But Luke actually sucks at being a superhero and Catwoman just laughs at him and then Luke is all like “wow am I ATTRACTED to Catwoman this evil woman?” Please kill me. Essentially Sarah tries to jam a whole intricate plot into about 20 pages and I think the ending is supposed to be a shocker but it reality I laughed the whole time.

Issue Three: How in the heck are you going to advertise Poison Ivy and my Queen Harley Quinn and then not put them in the book until about HALFWAY THROUGH ?! Also how are you going to include Suicide Squad Harley and Not Original Harley. NOT ONCE did she call Joker Puddin. Not once. OVER this fact alone I could one star this book. Poison Ivy I loved, don’t get me wrong, she is the main LGBT character in this book (yes there is LGBT rep and it’s actually good!) and it wasn’t a poor me story like ACOWAR. And Harley I loved because it’s freaking Harley Quinn how can I not love her?? I’m just triggered at the fact that they weren’t really necessary to the story (until the last 20 pages.)

Issue Four: The writing. Now Sarah does write good, really well, I love the way she weaves words. BUT in the beginning of the book I was getting to mad because EVERY chance she got she talked about how WHITE Selina was. “Selina moved her white wrist.” “Selina moved her waxed tan leg.” “Selina’s white finger knuckle was white.” LIKE YES I GET SHE’S WHITE PLEASE WRITE ABOUT WHAT SHE’S DOING. And then when it got to Luke she was like “he is black.” AND that’s all I know about him besides he has brown eyes and is ripped. But with Selina Sarah talks about about her white waxed body that’s lithe and lethal and beautiful and amazing dyed blonde hair. I just was so mad about this, I can’t begin to explain to you.

AND OKAY HERE IS AN ACTUAL QUOTE FROM THE BOOK THAT I LAUGHED AT. Poison Ivy says this at the end after everything happened with the story:

“Ivy blew out a breath and whistled. ‘Well, that’s certainly one hell of a story.”

LIKE SARAH IS SAYING HER BOOK IS SO GOOD?! WHAT. WHat. WHAHahldkfasdlk;f jal;ksdfj l;askjfI. I am so done.

I’ve had enough of this book. I don’t even want to think about it anymore. The story sucked, the characters sucked, even the one thing I liked I’m not even going to mention because it’s not relevant. If you want to read this, GOOD LUCK. Because this is by far an injustice to the DC Universe.

Catwoman. You deserved better my dear.

//

Sidekicks :
P O I S O N I V Y & H A R L E Y Q U I N N

I'm so beyond excited for this.

I just really pray there's no smut. Please, just no smut.
223 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catwoman.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 6, 2018 – Started Reading
August 6, 2018 – Shelved
August 8, 2018 –
page 200
52.08% "This is High-Key trash and there’s so many issues.

Why :) Am :) I :) Not :) Surprised :)"
August 8, 2018 –
page 280
72.92% "Hi, I’m Solomon Sanders, and you’re watching !! Biggest Eye Roll of 2018 !!"
August 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)


message 1: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena if there’s no smut there’s purring


Drewthereader19 U can tag ppl?


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Maggie wrote: "if there’s no smut there’s purring"

if there's smut and purring and i will cancel 2018


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Drew wrote: "U can tag ppl?"

well it's more linking their page and not tagging


message 5: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana Yikes


message 6: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana Is it at least any better than tog


message 7: by Camile (new) - added it

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) Sana wrote: "Is it at least any better than tog"

I sure hope it is, because if not I might be done with Sarah. No one can say I'm not giving her enough chances.


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Camile wrote: "Sana wrote: "Is it at least any better than tog"

I sure hope it is, because if not I might be done with Sarah. No one can say I'm not giving her enough chances."


i'd rather read ToG 132321654 times than have to read this Once.


message 9: by Camile (new) - added it

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) lol then you really hated this wow


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Camile wrote: "lol then you really hated this wow"

i really did, and i had such high hopes too ☠️😫


♆Hayley (TheVillainousReader) Omfg!! Shsbdhwj THIS REVIEW IS GOLD AND ONE THE MOST HILARIOUS THINGS IVE EVER READ!! Bravo👏🏽 I knew it would be atrocious when I saw it was SJM. At least Poison Ivy was alright? She’s my fave and never gets enough rep!


message 12: by trufflebooks (new) - added it

trufflebooks lmao I wasn't even going to buy nor read this one, good to know I had good judgement. I love SJM but baby brain SJM and trying to diverse SJM is a tad cringe


Teresa Faliq ☼ this book sounds .. hella awful wow


message 14: by gelowmichael (new) - added it

gelowmichael OOOOHHHHHH NO!


message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Between this cover, the cringe of The Court of Christmas and Smut, and Kingdom of Ash coming out, there was no way this was going to be decent. Thank you for reading it so we don't have to.


Sol ~ TheBookishKing ♆Hayley wrote: "Omfg!! Shsbdhwj THIS REVIEW IS GOLD AND ONE THE MOST HILARIOUS THINGS IVE EVER READ!! Bravo👏🏽 I knew it would be atrocious when I saw it was SJM. At least Poison Ivy was alright? She’s my fave and ..."

Thank yooooou xD but truth thankfully we had Ivy and Harley :)


Sol ~ TheBookishKing trufflebooks wrote: "lmao I wasn't even going to buy nor read this one, good to know I had good judgement. I love SJM but baby brain SJM and trying to diverse SJM is a tad cringe"

SJM is just forever cringe right now


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Teresa ☼ wrote: "this book sounds .. hella awful wow"

it really really was, i never expected it to be this trash


Sol ~ TheBookishKing gelowmichael wrote: "OOOOHHHHHH NO!"

so bad :/


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Christine wrote: "Between this cover, the cringe of The Court of Christmas and Smut, and Kingdom of Ash coming out, there was no way this was going to be decent. Thank you for reading it so we don't have to."

CHRISTMAS AND SMUT AHAA what a great name, and so true ugh. This just isn't SJM's year


message 21: by Tova (new) - added it

Tova This is shocking. But thanks for the rundown.


message 22: by Trish (new)

Trish Isiderio I'm shaking my head so hard because I just knew Maas was gonna do Catwoman bad. But seeing how this book actually turned out worse is just sad. Catwoman did deserve better.


message 23: by trufflebooks (new) - added it

trufflebooks Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "trufflebooks wrote: "lmao I wasn't even going to buy nor read this one, good to know I had good judgement. I love SJM but baby brain SJM and trying to diverse SJM is a tad cringe"

SJM is just fore..."


lmao ACOWAR and The Court of Christmas and Smut was the beginning of the end xD


message 24: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena *says he’s a large sjm stan*
*also says he wants who he stans to stop writing books*

ps was there any purring ??? since she’s good at writing about that too


Lance Ooo a friend just bought this for me as late birthday gift.. yikes


message 26: by Marianne (new)

Marianne - November Words You are legit the 4th person in one day and half that says"I don't want to read her books anymore", and I totally feel you. I came to this decision too a while ago, I'll read KoA for the sake of finishing the series and then I'll be done with her books for good


message 27: by Leigha (new)

Leigha I wasn't planning on reading this book (despite being a SJM fan) b/c I'm actually not a fan of superhero books, but I was curious about it. I have to say your review is some A++ quality good sh*t and this is what I'm here for.


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Tova wrote: "This is shocking. But thanks for the rundown."

aha youre welcome, but really it’s bad 😂🤦🏽‍♂️


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Maggie wrote: "*says he’s a large sjm stan*
*also says he wants who he stans to stop writing books*

ps was there any purring ??? since she’s good at writing about that too"


I WAS A STAN BUT MAGS THIS BOOK IS SO BAD ITS ENOUGH TO TURN YOU IN THE OTHER DIRECTION!

also surprisingly i cant remember any purring??? and no smut either so Thankfully we didn’t have to deal with that 👀


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Lance wrote: "Ooo a friend just bought this for me as late birthday gift.. yikes"

oh noooo 😷 i wish you the best 😂🤞🏽


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Marianne wrote: "You are legit the 4th person in one day and half that says"I don't want to read her books anymore", and I totally feel you. I came to this decision too a while ago, I'll read KoA for the sake of fi..."

yeah like I’ve gotta read KoA because it’s the final
book but after that I just don’t care too read her books anymore?? She’s just plummeting downhill and it’s sad


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Leigha wrote: "I wasn't planning on reading this book (despite being a SJM fan) b/c I'm actually not a fan of superhero books, but I was curious about it. I have to say your review is some A++ quality good sh*t a..."

aha I definitely understand, i dont dig superhero books much either but read it alone for the fact it’s SJM. and thank you 😅 never imagined id ever one star a SJM book tbh 😪


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Trish wrote: "I'm shaking my head so hard because I just knew Maas was gonna do Catwoman bad. But seeing how this book actually turned out worse is just sad. Catwoman did deserve better."

right?! its like in the back of my mind i knew it was going to be horrible yet I still read it 🤦🏽‍♂️ and most definitely Catwoman did


message 34: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena when a book messes up so bad that you feel like the author should just stop writing you know it’s time. and your time has come solly.

also i heard there was purring in this like 14 times 🤧


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Maggie wrote: "when a book messes up so bad that you feel like the author should just stop writing you know it’s time. and your time has come solly.

also i heard there was purring in this like 14 times 🤧"


my time has come?! You trynna KILL ME??

also aha sorry i was too annoyed with having to hear about her Waxed White Legs 😂


message 36: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana THIS REVIEW is the best thing ever thank u sol


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Sana wrote: "THIS REVIEW is the best thing ever thank u sol"

no thank you Drug lOrd


message 38: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "Sana wrote: "THIS REVIEW is the best thing ever thank u sol"

no thank you Drug lOrd"


of course V***** Wrapped Steel


message 40: by gelowmichael (last edited Aug 09, 2018 04:26PM) (new) - added it

gelowmichael Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "gelowmichael wrote: "OOOOHHHHHH NO!"

so bad :/"


I will still read it so that I can know how trashy it is. I tried my best for Batman: Nightwalker because of Marie Lu. But this would be a different case bwahahahhahahahahahahaa


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky, and B*tchy ⚓️ Steamy Reads wrote: "Well said."

yes another one star :P the ultimate trash book


message 42: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) GO OFF. anyway i'm so glad y'all were out here to trash this, the real mvps


message 43: by Elena (new) - added it

Elena Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "Maggie wrote: "when a book messes up so bad that you feel like the author should just stop writing you know it’s time. and your time has come solly.

also i heard there was purring in this like 14..."


YOU YOURSELF SAID SHE SHOULD STOP WRITING BOOKS SO YOURE TIME TO UNSTAN WAS LIKE,,, SAID BY YOU LMAOOOO

also if sarah's character doesn't purr 14 times the mention of their white waxed legs will be mentioned 14 times and its the same torture and annoyance


ambsreads MAGGIE THERE WERE EXACTLY FOURTEEN PURRS I CANT BREATHE


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Elise wrote: "GO OFF. anyway i'm so glad y'all were out here to trash this, the real mvps"

i trash what deserves it


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Maggie wrote: "Solomon ~ TheBookishKing wrote: "Maggie wrote: "when a book messes up so bad that you feel like the author should just stop writing you know it’s time. and your time has come solly.

also i heard ..."


I SAID END SARAH NOT END ME IM SO CONFUSED 😂

imagine Waxed Legs AND PURRING. I would have ended it all.


Sol ~ TheBookishKing ambsreads wrote: "MAGGIE THERE WERE EXACTLY FOURTEEN PURRS I CANT BREATHE"

SHE HAS HER RECEIPTS


Frankie Lovely Color me NOT surprised 🤷🏽‍♀️


Sol ~ TheBookishKing Frankie Lovely wrote: "Color me NOT surprised 🤷🏽‍♀️"

24 hours later and i’m still angry tbh


message 50: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) ambsreads wrote: "MAGGIE THERE WERE EXACTLY FOURTEEN PURRS I CANT BREATHE"

FOURTEEN EXACTLY


« previous 1
back to top