Larry H's Reviews > Give Me Your Hand

Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley

3.5 stars.

"I guess I always knew, in some subterranean way, Diane and I would end up back together. We are bound, ankle to ankle, a monstrous three-legged race. Accidental accomplices. Wary conspirators. Or Siamese twins, fused in some hidden place. It's that powerful, this thing we share. A murky history, its narrative near impenetrable. We keep telling it to ourselves, noting its twists and turns, trying to make sense of it. And hiding it from everyone else."

When Kit and Diane became friends in high school, for the first time, Kit recognized her intelligence as an asset. Diane encouraged her to believe in herself, believe she could accomplish anything she wanted, that she wasn't destined to attend college in her hometown and never amount to much. The two grew inseparable, challenging and pushing each other, both hoping to achieve a prestigious internship. Kit always felt as if she were one step behind Diane, but that didn't stop her from wanting, from trying.

One night, Diane told Kit a secret she had kept hidden from everyone. This wasn't just any secret—this was the biggest secret Diane had, about the worst thing she had ever done. Kit didn't understand why Diane had to tell her this, and it completely destroyed their friendship. Any time she looked at Diane, Kit felt the weight of the knowledge she had about her. She knew she should tell someone, but she can't bring herself to, but she can't escape knowing, either. Still, she hopes that once they graduate high school she'll never see Diane again.

Years later, Kit is where she wants to be—working in a lab under one of the most formidable female scientists, who is just about to receive major grant funding for a project looking at a once-taboo, misunderstood, "female issue." Kit is hoping to be one of the people chosen to work on this grant. And then, unexpectedly, Diane arrives, brought into the lab specifically by Kit's boss.

"Everyone always likes the best, wants the most, admires deeply, the girl who's just out of reach. The girl no one can touch, really. We don't know why we're drawn, but it's unstoppable."

Without warning, Kit faces the same feelings about Diane she had hidden away after high school. All she wants to do is work, but suddenly she's competing with Diane again, trying not to think of what Diane told her all those years ago. But in a moment of weakness, Kit makes a mistake she can't take back, and suddenly Diane is there, protecting Kit, keeping her secret.

Can Kit keep both of their secrets? Is Diane a threat to her, professionally and/or personally? How far will things have to go before Kit feels secure in her work, and her life—or will that ever be a possibility?

Megan Abbott has created some of the best "mean girl" characters in fiction over the last few years, in novels like The Fever, Dare Me , and You Will Know Me . In Give Me Your Hand it's more "crazy girl" than "mean girl," but her work is equally memorable—and unsettling.

This is an interesting story of female intelligence, friendship, rivalry, and relationships, and the challenges women in academia (particularly in science) face to get ahead. It's also a look at how far we would go for a friend, if there's a secret that we'd consider too big to keep for someone, even if we care about them.

Even though this book is fairly predictable, I couldn't stop reading it. I needed to see how far Abbott would take her plot and her characters, hoping she wouldn't go completely off the rails. Give Me Your Hand isn't the strongest of Abbott's books I've read—I think that goes to Dare Me (see my review)—but it's still entertaining, and it will be difficult to get out of your mind.

NetGalley and Little, Brown and Company provided me an advance copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review. Thanks for making this available!

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com, or check out my list of the best books I read in 2017 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2017.html.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Give Me Your Hand.

August 6, 2018 – Started Reading
August 6, 2018 – Shelved
August 6, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 7, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City Added this to my tbr. Great review, Larry! — mo

Susanne  Strong Nice review Larry! I couldn't agree more!

message 3: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Valdez Terrific review, Larry. It's fair to attribute "mean girl" characters to Megan Abbott, but the reason she's one of my favorite authors is that her fiction is targeted at adults, not teens. There is a very lukewarm version of this novel somewhere, but the one you described sounds like it has more sophistication and bite to it. I'm looking forward to reading it.

message 4: by Esil (new)

Esil Great review, Larry.

message 5: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Terrific review, Larry!

message 6: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review, Larry!!

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Larry! I have yet to read anything from Abbott, but I've been wanting to for quite some time :-)

message 8: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Fab review Larry, adding to my list! :)