Cheyenne Blue's Reviews > Our Homesick Songs

Our Homesick Songs by Emma Hooper

bookshelves: canadian, literary-fiction, not-your-usual-location

First up, the cover is perfect and sums up the whole book: slow-moving and stately with more happening underneath the surface of the words.

Our Homesick Songs (love the title) is set in a tiny town in Newfoundland, Canada. Most of it takes place in the 1990s when the fish (the cod?) have mysteriously disappeared, leaving the small town struggling to survive. Most of the residents move on to other--bigger--places for work, leaving their homes open, the keys in the truck, food in the freezer.

The story follows Aidan and Martha and their kids Cora and Finn and their ties to Big Running, the town. When there's no work in town, Aidan and Martha take jobs in a mining camp, alternating their time away with time with the kids. Cora, who's 14, decorates the remaining houses with national themes from around the world. Finn, who's 11, plays his music and tries to puzzle out a way to make the fish return.

This slow-moving and ethereal story drifts along, layer upon layer. I read it slowly in quiet enjoyment until the final 25% of the book when it all came together in a most beautiful and bittersweet way.

I love books like this: small town, quiet characters, rural setting, choices that are not black and white and behaviour that isn't either.

I would rate the first 75% 4 stars, and the final 25% as good as it gets, more than 5 stars. So that's a 5 star read from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Homesick Songs.

August 6, 2018 – Shelved