Sophie's Reviews > Going Down on One Knee

Going Down on One Knee by Christina Hovland

F 50x66

Velma is one of those organized people. Like really organized. She already has a five-year plan and her future is all set up, basically.

So she was a little shocked when her sister snatched Velma’s coworker Dean and longtime crush. She is happy for her sister but at the same time wonders if she’ll ever find her Mr. Right.

Brek is Dean’s friend and for the last months of his sister’s pregnancy also a wedding planner. He manages one of the biggest bands, but he has no clue about weddings.

Now I watch quite a lot of movies so there were a couple elements of this book that kind of reminded me of the movie 27 Dresses. I loved that movie (totally recommend), by the way, even watch it at least once a year. Back to the book.

If I compare this book and the movie:

-heroine in love with a coworker [check]

-heroine’s sister gets to marry said coworker [check]

-heroine sort of plans her sister’s wedding [check]

-heroine and the other wedding planner (well in the movie was a journalist but he helps too) are always arguing but there’s sexual tension underneath [check]

-heroine’s sister ruins make some changes to the wedding dress that is family heirloom [check]

-heroine likes to organize [check]

So you can see why I was skeptical this book would be a copy of 27 Dresses, right? Like one of those let’s-copy-everything-from-some-movie-but-change-couple-elements-so-we-can-still-call-it-an-original-book books.

But thankfully it wasn’t like this and that’s where the similarity with the movie ends. The book was actually pretty fun with some sexy moments.

However, as in my review of the book Up in Flames by Jennifer Blackwood, I did see what would be the cause of the break up almost since the beginning. I was disappointed that my suspicion came true. That’s why I have to give this book 4 stars.

ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Going Down on One Knee.

August 6, 2018 – Shelved