David Steele's Reviews > The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them

The Ten Commandments by Kevin DeYoung

12195496

bookshelves: christian-living, theology

Ask anyone if they are familiar with the Ten Commandments and the answer will be in the affirmative. But ask that same person to recite the ten commandments by memory. The results will not be as encouraging, even among professing Christians.

Kevin DeYoung devotes his latest book, The Ten Commandments to explaining and exploring these ten imperatives. The subtitle describes the essence of the book: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them.

DeYoung carefully guides readers through each commandment, grounding his exposition in Scripture and applying his explanation to the real-world needs of contemporary people. Each chapter focuses on one commandment in particular and is set forth in a clear and understandable way.

I found The Ten Commandments to be deeply encouraging and challenging. DeYoung’s writing is engaging and draws readers from different backgrounds to one conclusion: These commandments are for today. But in the final analysis, they lead us directly to the cross of Christ. Indeed, as DeYoung writes,

“We can no longer keep the Ten Commandments rightly unless we keep them in Christ, through Christ, and with a view to the all-surpassing greatness of Christ. As new creations in Christ, the law is not only our duty but also our delight. If we want to love Christ as he deserves and as he desires, we will keep his commandments.”

I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten Commandments.

August 6, 2018 – Started Reading