Scott Shepard's Reviews > Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

liked it
bookshelves: bookclub-omara, 2018, authors-women, kindle, mystery

There’s an episode of Gilmore Girls where Paris is convinced that the way to win a national high school newspaper competition is to expose the seedy underbelly of Stars Hollow. Rory tries to tell her that there is no seedy underbelly of Stars Hollow but Paris doesn’t listen and hijinks ensue. Paris should have gone to Wind Gap, MO.

There is plenty of seedy underbelly to go around in Wind Gap, murder, drugs, corruption, and lust to name a few. There is a child killer running loose. Camille Preaker has been sent back home to report on it. Except she’s not that great of a reporter and being back home forces her to confront all the terribleness of her own childhood there. The bullying, the rape, her horrible mother and all the emotional abuses heaped upon her. So she compensates by sleeping with a teenager and…doing drugs with her…sister? I don’t know man, it got fucked up pretty quickly. The ending is more vicious that I expected. It’s probably the cruelest and most vivid book I’ve read since American Psycho. Anyone and everyone has the capacity to be evil in this small town. I’m recommend avoiding Wind Gap like the plague.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

August 6, 2018 – Shelved