Scott Shepard's Reviews > Crucible of Gold

Crucible of Gold by Naomi Novik

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, authors-women, fantasy, kindle, young-adult

Is Novik's intention really to hit all seven continents? Are we gonna have books in North America and Antarctica too? While I still enjoyed this books I think it's more because I am so familiar with the characters and not because learning about yet another dragon society is all that interesting. It's almost like Novik made a pivot table of all the possible dragon/human structures and is in a quest to cross them off. Other than that there is no point to this book.

After Australia L&T get shipwrecked and make their way to the coast of present day Chile. There they discovered a depopulated land. Smallpox has wranvengded South America in this universe as well as our own. However this time--dragons. Dragons are immune to most human diseases so when human society collapsed the dragons prevented the Spanish from sweeping through and conquering the rest. It’s another interesting and different dragon society and a nice bit of revisionist history where the Europeans didn’t sweep all native culture away. It’s a tad indulgent but that’s fine. However I want to get back to the battlefield in Europe. Come on let’s goooooo!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crucible of Gold.

August 6, 2018 – Started Reading